What is eating my rose leaves?

• 2 Replies

JTh

• Email
What is eating my rose leaves?
« on: June 29, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »
I have a few roses which were OK when we were here in Halkidiki in May, but when I returned a couple of days ago, most of them  looked really sad, most of the leaves have been eaten by someting, but I don't know what; I have never seen this before here.  I can't  see any insects or mites right now, except a few spiders, and a single Pholidoptera fallax (Fischer's bush cricket), which I believe are not the cause of the problem. There were a few aphids on the only healthy looking rose, they were easily removed with my fingers, and the damages don't look like the aphids hade anything to do with the eaten leaves, many of them are now just skeletons. I don't know the most common bugs are in this part of the worlds, as I have not really had similar problems before here. Cicadas, rose chafers/Japanes chafers, leaf cuter bees, or what?

I would appreciate any help  with the identification and advice on how to attack the problem. It reminds me I should try to order some neem oil right away!
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

David Bracey

• Email
Re: What is eating my rose leaves?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 06:12:34 PM »
Looks like the Japanese beetle , Popillia which will skeletonise rose leaves.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

JTh

• Email
Re: What is eating my rose leaves?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 08:38:51 AM »
Thank you, David, it was one of my suspected culprits.

I can't see any of them now, so maybe the attack is over? I guess I'll have to pamper the roses a little extra now, to make them recover, they look sad.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.