Identified by Oron as Araujia sericifera

• 4 Replies

pamela

Identified by Oron as Araujia sericifera
« on: July 27, 2011, 01:41:04 PM »
I found this lovely climber today (late July) growing over a Pistacia lentiscus. It has small white bluebell shaped flowers and thick wavy leaves ( some of the leaves are bigger than the others.)  I hope someone will identify it....it's nice to get a surprise in the garden.
pamela
ps this is the third time I have posted this as my photo was too big. I am sorry if you receive it three times.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:44:36 PM by Alisdair »
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Identification please
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 03:34:26 PM »
Hello Pamela

Without seeing the leaves as they are almost invisible in the photo, it looks like Araujia sericifera, a climber from South America that has naturalised in few localeties,  mainly along  the Med. coast.
It has white or pinkish flowers to follow by  big, particular fruits.
A closer photo of the leaves will give a final ID.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 05:50:16 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

pamela

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 03:48:48 PM »
Thanks Oron ..yes, it is that indeed.  The leaves look somewhat like Stephanotis and I see its called 'Poor Man's Stephanotis. As well the 'Cruel Plant' because moths and bees get trapped.   Now, I am not sure what should do about it.
It strangles shrubs and other plants....but it looks so lovely.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 08:23:35 PM »
This plant is on the EPPO "Alert" list for Invasive species.

It is quite a spectacular plant with heavily scented flowers and large pear shaped fruits however it does attract heavy infestations of an orange aphid and has a nasty white milky sap. The many seeds are airborne and I found seedlings across my garden.  David
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 06:46:30 AM »
I grow this plant Pamela and love it because it has a long period of interest. The amazingly big seed pods hang on right through the winter and well into spring with me so if you want to prevent lots of seedlings you can afford to leave them to give interest during the duller months. The first year it flowered and produced seed pods for me I cut a lot of them to have in a bowl in the house. One morning I came downstairs to disaster, several had burst open during the night and distributed their seed everywhere. Now I leave them on the plant until early spring! :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.