Yellowing leaves on eucalyptus

• 3 Replies

Alice

Yellowing leaves on eucalyptus
« on: June 23, 2013, 08:12:29 AM »
I grew two Eucalyptus erythrocorys from seed a few years ago. The trees are now at least 2.5 m high but this year the leaves on the lower branches (below 1.5 m) have started to turn yellow. Is this normal or are they suffering from something?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Trevor Australis

Re: Yellowing leaves on eucalyptus
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 12:42:28 AM »
Eucalyptus erythrocorys the Red-Cap mallee is a semi-desert plant. It grow where the soils are alkaline, thin red sand over sheet limestone. It resents fertiliser. How do these conditions compare with yours. Too much water or food could be the cause.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alice

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 08:07:41 AM »
Our Eucalyptus erythrocorys receive no fertiliser, just the occasional handful of manure. The soil is alkaline, similar to what you describe, Trevor, but we did improve it when we planted them originally. We water them by drip irrigation once a week from May to September, as we don't normally get any rain during the warmer 6 months of the year. Do your think we should stop or drastically reduce this, considering the size of the trees? By the way, the growing tips look green and healthy and the trees have flowered and set seed.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 12:40:29 AM »
if your Euc. erythrocorys is flowering and setting seed you must be doing something right. The tree is obviously happy in your conditions. I think I would be inclined to cut back on the water though. Incidentally, this species is not all that long lived - about 12-15 yrs, by which time it is very ugly  and tends to collapse.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.