Halophyte ID'd by John J as Arthrocnemum macrostachyum

• 3 Replies

Alice

Halophyte ID'd by John J as Arthrocnemum macrostachyum
« on: June 21, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
This halophytic shrublet must have a strong will to live!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:07:31 PM by Alisdair »
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Trevor Australis

Re: Halophyte ID
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 12:05:09 AM »
It is a samphire but I'm not sure which one. You can eat the new tip growths as a salad ingredient or accompaniment to fish/ shellfish etc. Simply parboil very briefly and chill at once. It is a bit salty but that's about all. And nouvelle, of course!
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

John J

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 05:03:51 AM »
Alice, I can't be certain but you could try looking up species of Arthrocnemum, possibly macrostachyum.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alice

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:01:05 AM »
I also thought it might be an Arthrocnemum, John. It does look like A. macrostachyum.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.