Insect eggs on almond tree

• 5 Replies

Alice

Insect eggs on almond tree
« on: June 01, 2013, 08:08:38 PM »
Can anybody - Mike or other insect expert - identify these eggs seen on an almond tree? Do I take action or leave to their own devices?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Pia

• Email
Re: Insect eggs on almond tree
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
I am sorry to tell you that two weeks ago we visited our neighbour in Argolis and her two beautiful almond trees was a disaster. All over the trees were ribbed for foliage and there were hundreds of huge green larvae all over the trees. They have long hair! She had (despite of alwais not using chemicls) sprayed with some chemical 5 days before. they disappeared, but 3 days after spraying there were as many again. And eggs looking like yours.
I am sorry for the quality og my picture.
Hope the best for you and your almonds.
Living in Denmark and part time growing olives in the coastal Peloponnese, near Kiveri, close to Nafplion. MGS member since 2010.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 10:55:16 PM »
How about...

Saturnia pyri, the giant peacock moth -
http://tpittaway.tripod.com/silk/s_pyr.htm
Scroll down that page and you'll see eggs and caterpillars.

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnia_pyri.

Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alice

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 07:55:47 AM »
Thanks for your replies, Pia and Mike.
Mike, the eggs do look like those of Saturnia pyri but are on the stems, not the leaves.
I removed the ones I could see but have now discovered that the tree is covered in black scale insects, which seem to be farmed by ants. Do you think the white eggs (?) might be related to the scale insect?
Alisdair, I think this thread should now be moved to "Pests and Diseases".
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 09:33:33 AM »
I doubt that the eggs are associated with the scale.  I have never knowingly seen scale Eggs but I think they are microscopic. 
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alice

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 09:21:56 AM »
Thank you, David.
I have so far seen no caterpillars, having emerged from the eggs.
I am removing the scale insects by hand (fortunately it is not a big tree). They are really dark and stain my fingers. I will probably also spray with a soap solution.