"Ivy-leaf" seedlings ID'd by Oron as Brachychiton populneus

• 6 Replies

David Bracey

• Email
These  photos were sent to me by a new member in Mallorca. Her hobby is to germinate seeds from wild plants and this is the result. I think I know the genus but is the species?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 06:54:48 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Any ideas ?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:33:50 PM »
looks like Brachychiton seedlings, difficult to say which as these are juvenile leaves, i suspect it to be B. populneus.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:43:50 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 08:46:38 AM »
Oron, what makes it Brachychiton and not Hedera?  The swollen stems?  my next question would be how did the member find the seeds?  i think the new member is on -line and will reply herself,
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 04:17:50 PM »
David,

Yes, it is the swollen stem as you mentioned  but also the leaf's pedicel form and the place it joins the leaf, the structure of the leaf, also young Hedera grow flat unless it is climbing on something.
The juvenile leaves of a Hedera has the same shape as the mature leaves, only fertile stems change form at flowering time but that happens after many years.
The stem is round [and rigid],  while Hedera usually has a flaten stem where on one side roots develope in order to hold on a surface.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 04:57:18 PM »
Oron , impressionant as they say in France.  I have sent the pics to an Ivy Expert in Scotland. It will be interesting to see what she says.  Unfortunately she is not on line.
MGS member.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 12:36:20 AM »
I agree with Oron, Brachychiton populneus - most likely.  trevor
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Re: "Ivy-leaf" seedlings ID'd by Oron as Brachychiton populneus
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 07:21:26 PM »

Thank you all for helping me to recognize this plant.
My name is Martina, I joined new at the MGS Mallorca.
I am not a gardener but I love exotic plants. I try to reproduce whatever has beautiful flowers.
Yes it is a Brachychiton.
This tree has beautiful red flowers.
Now they are fully in bloom - very beautiful. These trees (about 30) are standing at the left and right side of the mainstreet in
San Agustin near Palma de Mallorca. There I found the seed pods some years ago. From this seeds were growing about 15 small plants. Now I wait and see them growing slowly.