Hibiscus tiliaceus

• 8 Replies

John J

Hibiscus tiliaceus
« on: May 23, 2013, 09:39:47 AM »
The first flower I've spotted on our Hibiscus tiliaceus this year.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

pamela

Re: Hibiscus tiliaceus
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 01:06:38 PM »
Oh, that is such a surprise!  I have only ever seen it in the Seychelles and some Pacific Islands.  Really lovely!
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

John J

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
Pamela, I have to admit that when I saw them for sale 6/7 years ago here in Cyprus I was surprised. Having only heard of them as tropical trees growing in almost mangrove-like conditions in coastal swamps my first impression was one of; 'Here we go again, someone else who hasn't done their homework regarding the plants they foist off onto an unsuspecting public. Charge a lot and then shrug their shoulders when the poor sucker comes back and complains that the plant has died'. Being ever the 'sucker' with the excuse that I'm experimenting, or 'pushing the envelope' as I believe the expression goes, I bought one. I took it home, chose a spot where it would be shaded to a certain extent from the worst of the sun and it's roots would be constantly in the shade, gave it a load of TLC for the first couple of years and waited to see what happened. Once it decided that it was not going to expire it shot up looking for the sun to the extent that last year we had to lop off the top to prevent it from touching the electricity cable leading from the poles outside on the road to the house. This seems to have bothered it not one iota and it is still flourishing. All this in an area that has no irrigation and is certainly nowhere near the swamp-like conditions that the books say it is said to favour. Then again I have yet to meet the plant that has read a book. 
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 05:33:28 AM »
Wonderful post John, echoing the thoughts and actions of many of us I am sure when tempted to buy something we know we shouldn't  ;D and the closing thought sums up the situation perfectly.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »
Our Hibiscus tiliaceus is still going strong with very little summer water. I took the photo this morning just as the flower was opening and before the sun had a chance to bleach the colour out of it.

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 12:06:28 PM »
Beautiful photos! I saw this plant for sale at the botanical garden La Concepción here in Málaga at the weekend, so I assume it should grow well here too . I held off, but may succumb...
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

John J

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 04:36:54 PM »
Our plant is still around and has the first flowers of the season opened today, 3 of them.

John J

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 09:11:41 AM »
Haven't posted anything on here for a couple of years but our tree is still with us and has put out its first flowers of the season.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 06:01:36 AM »
Good to hear it is still growing and flowering John - lovey colour especially when it first opens
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.