Mediterranean Spring?

• 2 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Mediterranean Spring?
« on: May 17, 2013, 09:11:51 AM »
It seems that many of us are experiencing a poor spring. Here the temperatures are well below normal on most days and heavy and frequnt rain is causing weeds to proliferate and spoiling spring flowering shrubs, clematis etc
I have noticed much larger than normal infestations of "cuckoo spit" on many things, each globule containing several of the sapsucking larvae and causing twisted leaves.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

ritamax

Re: Mediterranean Spring?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 10:57:49 AM »
Yes, it is unusually wet and cool in southern Costa Blanca as well. I even have aphids this year, a rare thing, as the hot, dry weather usually "takes care" of them. Mealybugs are doing their invasion effort on ficus trees, I always prune them heavily back (mealybugs are sitting mostly on the new tips) and spray with neem oil. Hot summer weather will take care of that as well until autumn.
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

JTh

• Email
Re: Mediterranean Spring?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 12:29:13 PM »
We were lucky, absolutely fantastic weather the whole time we were in Halkidiki (northern Greece) this spring. Everything was lush and green, and lots of flowers, after an exceptionally wet, but mild winter.  Some friends said: At least something is right in Greece these days.

Yes, I noticed some aphids as well, but not more than I could remove with my finger, I hope they are gone when I come back in June. I'll try to get some neem oil, though, just in case.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.