Unseasonal weather

• 2 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Unseasonal weather
« on: June 01, 2013, 06:51:26 AM »
June 1st and no signs yet that the very unseasonal weather we are experiencing is going to change. Day after day of leaden skies, frequent storms and low temperatures. This morning at 6.30 the thermometer was showing just 11 degrees.
The garden and surrounding countryside are looking lushly green and plants everywhere reaching unprecedented heights including the weeds in the garden that escaped my attention earlier in the year. Seeds of Thunbergia, Cleome etc that germinated well have made no further growth and are rotting off daily despite being protected from the worst of the heavy rain.
The one bright spot is that the many Sweet Peas that appear spontaneously every year and are allowed to climb through surrounding shrubs have flourished and every day I am able to pick large bunches to brighten the house and give to friends - normally they are past their best very quickly once the higher temperatures kick in.
What are conditions like in other Mediterranean areas and what problems are they bringing?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alice

Re: Unseasonal weather
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 07:55:33 PM »
Here in SE Greece there has hardly been any rain since the beginning of March. Temperatures up to 30 C last week, with warm southerly winds. Cooler today and overcast but only about 5 drops of rain. The weeds were all dry, brown and full of seeds when we arrived two weeks ago - we are piling them high to burn in autumn, as they will not compost. We could do with some of your excess rain, Umbrian. Seems like a different planet!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Unseasonal weather
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
If only I could send you some of our excess rain I would Alice. Yesterday I had hopes that summer had finally decided to make a start- clear blue skies and sunshine until about 4pm and we were able to have our first lunch outside this year. By 5pm we were back to leaden skies and then suffered an almighty thunderstorm with torrential rain. This morning it was still raining heavily when I got up and although it has stopped now the sky looks very ominous. Here is a photo I took a few minutes ago showing the waterlogged state of our "orto" - vegetable garden- little produce this year I fear ???
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.