Matthiola incana
Bougainvillea spectabilis
Lavandula dentata
Rosa banksiae lutea
Nigella damascena
Mesembryanthemum
Iris
Genista
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

Re: May wreath
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 05:29:54 AM »
Well done, Alice, you have about half of them.
Bauhinia variegata, yes, plus the large white flowers to the right are B. variegata 'Candida'.
Limonium, yes, but it is L. perezii.
Pittosporum tobira, Matthiola incana, Bougainvillea, Lavandula dentata, Mesembryanthemum and Iris, yes.
Rosa banksiae, yes, plus R. banksiae 'Alba plena'.
Nigella, yes, but it's N. arvensis.
A couple more days and I'll fill in the gaps.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 09:25:30 AM »
John,
What you should do now is to draw a chart of your May wreath
Number each flower
Then add the name when someone identifies the flower
I have set your photo as today's screen saver
beautiful.

Alice,
Now I am wondering which ones you have not identified. 
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 09:29:39 AM »
Just looked at Facebook
I suppose the yellow flowers must be Pallensis maritima
MGS member

Alice

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 09:32:39 AM »
Hilary, I didn't identify most of the daisy-like ones (Asteraceae/Compositae family).
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 09:52:12 AM »
Hi John,

Looks like there is Senecio confusus in there. Mine doesn't flower until much later in the year but then again it does get severely cut back in the winter here. Lovely wreath and a lovely tradition :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 10:38:15 AM »
I believe I see some pink/mauve geranium flowers, and maybe a singe Calendula?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alice

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 12:21:20 PM »
Jasminum officinale or polyanthum
Argyrocytisus battandieri
Bright pink on top left: Nerium oleander (double) or Eustoma?

John J

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 12:23:29 PM »
OK let's try to sort this out.
Well spotted, Hilary, they are indeed Pallenis maritima.
Correct, David, the orange flowers are Senecio confusus.
Sharp eyes, Jorun, there is a Calendula tucked in there, and Pelargoniums dotted about.
I have to reduce the number I first quoted by one as I see from a closer look at the photo that the wild Anchusa is not visible. I made my list from the actual thing.
Almost forgot that there is an Aster in there among the other 'daisies'.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2015, 12:38:18 PM »
Your post came in as I was sending mine, Alice. Good spot on the Jasminum polyanthum. No to the Nerium or Eustoma and I wish to the Argyrocytisus battandieri, it's been on my WANT ONE list for years.
Right, by my reckoning we've got it down to 4 left.
On the left of the picture, just below the orange Senecio and next to the pelargonium there is a single flower peeking out.
Just below that there are 2 tight little bunches of flowers, one pink, one white.
Top left a single, rather crinkled pink flower.
Bottom left the bunch of yellow flowers that Alice has tried as Genista and Argyrocytisus.

Alice

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2015, 02:58:31 PM »
The yellow one must be one of the brooms - Spartium junceum?

John J

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2015, 06:55:14 PM »
You got it, just 3 rather difficult ones to go.

Hilary

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2015, 07:09:45 PM »
The purple/pink one might  be Osteospermum

The yellow one looks like Phlomis fruticosa

The squashed pink flower might be a Hibiscus flower

Still working on the small bunches.

I was surprised you didn't have any flowers from olive tree  or citrus trees.
They both must be in bloom now

I hope you all saw the wonderful sunset we had this evening
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2015, 07:18:14 PM »
Could the flowers which are in bunches be Bouvardia?
I was looking for the name of something else and came across this plant which I have never heard of or knowingly seen
MGS member

John J

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2015, 05:02:05 AM »
Hilary, the purple/pink one certainly is Osteospermum. The yellow one has been identified by Alice as Spartium junceum. The squashed pink flower is difficult, purely because it is squashed, and is a Rosa damascena. Bouvardia I had to look up, so no the bunches are not that. In fact they are much more common, self seed themselves around and come in white, red and pink. Mediterranean native but has naturalised in other parts of the world, even being classed as invasive.
Olive and citrus are not easy to work with, citrus flowers especially being very fragile and prone to falling apart before the wreath is finished.