Compost worms?

• 2 Replies

Alice

Compost worms?
« on: April 18, 2013, 01:16:12 AM »
I have just discovered some thread-like transparent worms (up to 1cm  long) in the compost I have been using for germinating seeds. What are they? Are they likely to damage seedlings (or humans)?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Compost worms?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »
Alice, I don't think you should worry. These are probably Enchytraeid worms, which don't eat living plant tissue. Most live on dead plant material, some live on the funguses which grow on such material. They thrive in acid conditions, which may be quite likely with your compost.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

Re: Compost worms?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 03:56:38 PM »
What a relief! Thanks, Alisdair.
The compost was John Innes and the bag hadn't been opened for long, so there shouldn't have been nasties in it. But one never knows.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.