Iris ID'd by Pamela and Carole as a Dwarf Bearded cultivar

• 3 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Iris ID'd by Pamela and Carole as a Dwarf Bearded cultivar
« on: April 30, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »
Do any of our experts know the name of this Iris? I have had it for several years and until this winter it had escaped the attention of the porcupines. One morning however I was devestated to find that finally they had discovered it and I was left with a few pieces around the edge of the ever increasing clump and a mass of muddy roots in the centre. I carefully rescued a few of these that were attached to pieces of rhizome and potted them up. Amazingly the few pieces on the edge of the clump not only survived but have come into flower. The flowers are very dark and held on quite short stems - 30cm maximum when out.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:13:28 PM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

pamela

Re: ID please - Iris
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 05:55:38 PM »
It could be hybrid. Why dont you look on Christine Lomers website Plantas Distintas www.iris-lomer.com here in Spain. She has a wonderful Iris garden  and nursery and sells many varieties. You could also email her,  she has a vast knowledge of Iris... and do watch the video with the sound on....its divine!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 06:04:27 PM by pamela »
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Alice

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 06:13:13 PM »
Umbrian, from the height of your plant I would say it is a standard dwarf bearded iris. There are so many of them, but try checking it against "Autumn Jester", "Bantam Prince" and "Royal Overtime".
I agree with you, Pamela. Christine Lomer has a mouthwatering collection of irises.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 06:29:36 AM »
Thanks Alice and Pamela - will do as you both suggested and see if I can identify it. As is quite normal here in Italy labels are often non-existent or contain poor or indeed wrong in formation. I fell for this Iris because of it's beautiful colour and smaller growth and tried to hide it from the porcupines. It's brave display after being attacked made me want to identify it although I realised it would not be an easy task.  :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.