Thank you

SactoNewbie

Re: Sick Sago
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 11:29:12 PM »
Hope the attachment works now..

Trevor Australis

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 12:10:03 AM »
Could it have been bleached and burned by exposure to full, strong sunshine after being in a more protected position? Or maybe to cold, frosty weather. They are hardy tho' big ones in central Japan are wrapped from top to bottom in straw for winter protection. I grow several cycads, inc C. revoluta and find they prefer consistent conditions year round. They can show signs of stress if I have for some reason to change their  positions.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:51:23 AM »
Looks to me like a natural process,
it seems the upper rows of leaves are healthy.
 The lower row of leaves dries before the plant produces a new row, [happens only once a year in good conditions]
I suggests you to take off the lower row, you do not need to cut them just break them carefuly from the base. They come off easily.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:23:05 AM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

westyboy

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 09:13:49 AM »
Yes I agree Oron, I have one that is in a worst state.
But I know it is just dying back ready for the new growth to take over.
Happens every year.
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

pamela

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:06:16 AM »
I have a number of Cycas revoluta in pots.  Three are very large and were left by the previous owner when we bought our property. For years, every year the lower leaves would go yellow and I would cut them off but the new growth was always green. An old and very experienced Spanish gardener saw them and said that they need to be re-potted.  It was a big job we needed three men to transfer each one to its new larger pot (which we placed perfectly, never to be moved again!).  Since they have been re-potted some 2 years ago, there has never been another yellow leaf and they look so good.  Although they are very slow growers, I think they do need to be re-potted every 6-7 years. I also give them some Palm fertilizer once or twice a year. I water them once or twice  a week in summer and every 2 weeks in winter.   They shouldn’t be over watered.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

SactoNewbie

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 07:55:18 PM »
I might be overwatering....it is so hot and dry here.