Garden photos

• 18 Replies

KatG

• Email
Garden photos
« on: April 15, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
Some photos of my garden, taken in March and April.
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Garden photos
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 03:38:24 PM »
Gorgeous, Katerina - and the Felicia is such a wonderfully cheerful plant, isn't it!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

KatG

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 03:43:48 PM »
Yes, and we've just had heavy rain so everything will be refreshed after a dry spell.
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

Daisy

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 07:00:28 AM »
Really lovely photos Katerina and your paths are inviting.
I want to see what is out of shot. ;D More photos please.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

KatG

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 08:12:43 PM »
Thanks. Here are some more. Sadly the Echium has gone over now.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 07:04:10 AM »
Lovely pictures again, Katerina!
Is your gravel deep enough to prevent or at least discourage unwanted weed growth?
(And the distant background looks very familiar - is that Mt Profitis Ilias in the third picture, and in the last is that the headland that protects Kitries on its far side?)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

KatG

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 07:15:35 AM »
In the entrance area the top layer of gravel is about 5 cm deep over a 20 cm layer of sandstone spoil, excavated from the lower floor of the house. This was spread over the existing substrate, which in one area was mainly bedrock, so there is very little weed growth.  Elsewhere the gravel was laid over Mipex membrane on soil.

Yes, that's Profitis Ilias, well spotted. The last picture is taken looking due west - it's Koroni you can see.

ritamax

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 12:07:45 PM »
Beautiful!!! I wish I had even a bit of your design talent...
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 10:12:25 PM »
Oooh - very nice Katerina, and nicely photographed. Some good execution of good concepts. Bravo. //Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

cicerone

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 03:21:48 PM »
Beautiful design. So hard to get that harmonious yet informal feel but this is perfect...
- Creating a California Native / Mediterranean garden in the San Francisco Fogbelt

KatG

• Email
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 06:24:17 AM »
Thank you all. Nice to have such positive feedback. Here are a some photos taken before work began on the garden.

John

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 08:13:40 AM »
Hi Katerina, having just seen your garden I have just come across this posting and it is lovely to see it again especially with the Echium in flower. The before pics are also very interesting. I think it worth mentioning that Katerina also has some native plants amongst the plantings including Euphorbia characias ssp. wulfenii, poppies, probably Papaver rhoeas and what I believe to be Stachys canescens a Messenian endemic.
Here's a picture of the Stachys canescens growing outside the front door.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

westyboy

• Email
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 09:18:25 AM »
The finished garden was impressive enough

But when we see what you created it from

"Hats off" well done Katerina, amazing

;D
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

KatG

• Email
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 06:46:35 PM »
John, it's a shame you missed the Echium, they were spectacular. Hidden in the Stachys was a clump of Allium neapolitanum - very pretty, but they've gone over now.  Some other natives: Verbascum, Eurphorbia rigida, Borago officinalis, Phlomis cretica, Arbutus, Cotinus and quite a few more.

KatG

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 05:55:11 PM »
Flowering now.