Clematis armandii

• 3 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Clematis armandii
« on: April 10, 2013, 05:52:19 AM »
Despite a wet, windy, cold start to spring my Clematis armandii is smothered with flowers and their perfume, during warmer, sunny spells is a joy. I sometimes curse it because it is an untidy, rampant grower and needs a lot of attention to keep looking good - the old leathery leaves turn hard and brown and need to be dispensed with regularly to avoid the whole plant looking a mess. However everything is forgiven for a week or two in springtime. This photo shows the end of one plant that covers the whole of a pergola to the side of the house and has now travelled round the corner  to greet you as you walk along the front terrace.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

KatG

• Email
Re: Clematis armandii
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 06:46:37 AM »
Beautiful. Mine, planted a year ago, is finally taking off and has flowered for the first time. But it didn't enjoy the high winds we had recently.
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 07:10:06 AM »
Lovely sight, Carole. Makes me envious, as we lost our Clematis armandii a few years ago. For the first few years of its life it had summer irrigation, but eventually I thought it would be able to survive without and stopped it. It didn't survive a hot summer of six to seven dry months.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 06:29:57 AM »
Clematis armandii hates wind despite its tough leaves (once they have matured a bit) and vigorous growth when happy The one in the photo is planted against the west wall of the house but others I tried in more exposed positions have not succeeded.
The sad thing this year with the plant featured is that just as it was in full bloom the weather changed from winter to summer overnight and a week of hot sunshine has seen the majority of the flowers over already. :(
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.