Violas

• 2 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Violas
« on: April 10, 2013, 06:10:35 AM »
Just to finish my trio of postings about the pleasures of spring time in the garden - yesterday as I was trying to continue my spring clean under leaden skies and a howling wind, I chanced upon a huge clump of violas flowering prolifically in a little visited area. Turning a corner the impact of so many flowers growing closely together stopped me in my tracks. I have smaller clumps all over the garden but this massed grouping is quite spectacular and their perfume wonderful. Not a very good 'photo I'm afraid :(
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Sandra

Re: Violas
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 07:34:39 AM »
Really lovely. I planted a couple of small clumps of violets yesterday that a friend had given to me. Maybe one day they'll look as good as yours.
Sandra Panting
I garden in the Southern Peloponnese, Greece and will soon be creating a small garden in Northampton, England.  I'm co-head of the MGS Peloponnese group and a member of the RHS.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Violas
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 12:40:08 PM »
Umbrian - lovely clump of violets.
They look like V. odorata. Were they fragrant?
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England