Sikyon, Corinthia

• 7 Replies

Hilary

Sikyon, Corinthia
« on: January 11, 2015, 04:43:21 PM »
In December, before the weather broke, we went for a drive to Ancient Sikyon.
We were thrilled to find the museum and site open.
There was not much in the way of flowers but I know the surrounding fields are full of Anemones, Daisies  and Grape Hyacinths in the spring
The museum is housed in the Roman baths and surrounded by trees, one of which being a low Diospyros kaki
The complete mosaic floor with a floral design dates from the 2nd half of the 4th c BC
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

Re: Sikyon, Corinthia
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 04:19:10 PM »
Hello everyone, καλή χρονιά to you all. Hilary thank you again for posting photos of different Greek places. I enjoy them very much. We hope to see some more of Greece  and its  flora this year. We booked for the May walk in Epiros? I have only seen that area in Greek films Years ago when I WAS young!! And of course thank you for the beautiful mosaic.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 08:36:52 PM »
Glad you are enjoying the photos from our little trips around Corinthia.
Here are more photos from Sikyon
The Gymnasium this time.
A  column, a fountain and a mushroom!
We had seen an identical  lone mushroom at Ancient Kleones which Oron  identified as Pluteus cervinus
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 12:00:16 PM »
A photo of part of an ancient wall at Sikyon and a photo looking towards the Gulf of Corinth.
It was a rather hazy day but the Mountain of Gerania is visible on the left of the gulf
MGS member

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 11:23:55 AM »
That first column at Sikyon is incredibly elegant - what a lovely building that must have been!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »
Not a butterfly, a mosaic of a Griffin from the museum at Sikyon
MGS member

Charithea

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 08:17:04 AM »
Hello Hilary, as usual your photos are interesting. The mosaic is beautiful. Needs a lot of pebbles!
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 07:38:18 AM »
Sikyon February 2024
Nearly ten years after our last visit to the museum and site of Sikyon. Because I didn’t do my homework and the lack of signposts, we had great difficulty in finding the site.
‘The Archaeological Museum at Sikyon, located in a section of a Roman bath, was restored by Anastasios Orlandos in 1935’
This time we concentrated on looking at the finds from the Pitsa cave and then I took some photos of the building and the odds and ends in the courtyard.
I liked the column capital with its sculptured eagles and bulls’ heads on top of acanthus leaves.   
The theater is fenced off at the moment for restoration but good views can be obtained from the fence and for the more adventurous going up a dirt road for a higher view.
There were no wild flowers but luckily for me there were a couple of almond trees in blossom at the side of the road.
The day had started out bright and sunny but soon became overcast when we were at the site and then  there was a storm during the night.
MGS member