Sonchus acaulis

• 1 Replies

Martin

Sonchus acaulis
« on: April 04, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »
I grow several young plants of Sonchus acaulis. I read in Curtis's Botanical Magazine that the species is summer dormant at Kew. I would like to know if there is possibility to shorten or remove their dormancy period by keeping them watered at lower temperatures during summer in a similar way to some Aeonium or Macaronesian Lavandula species.

Martin
MGS member gardening in Czech Republic.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Sonchus acaulis
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 11:18:03 PM »
Hi Martin,

I wonder how you got on with your Sonchus acaulis?

I tried to grow some from seed last year. They germinated erratically (the few that did) but did not survive very long. I have some more this year. I sowed some in the autumn and a few last week. No sign of life from either batches yet.

What on earth I am going to do with such plants on a small and already cluttered balcony, I have no idea. I will cross that bridge when, if ever, I come to it!
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.