Sonchus acaulis

• 1 Replies

Martin

Sonchus acaulis
« on: April 04, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »
I grow several young plants of Sonchus acaulis. I read in Curtis's Botanical Magazine that the species is summer dormant at Kew. I would like to know if there is possibility to shorten or remove their dormancy period by keeping them watered at lower temperatures during summer in a similar way to some Aeonium or Macaronesian Lavandula species.

Martin
MGS member gardening in Czech Republic.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Sonchus acaulis
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 11:18:03 PM »
Hi Martin,

I wonder how you got on with your Sonchus acaulis?

I tried to grow some from seed last year. They germinated erratically (the few that did) but did not survive very long. I have some more this year. I sowed some in the autumn and a few last week. No sign of life from either batches yet.

What on earth I am going to do with such plants on a small and already cluttered balcony, I have no idea. I will cross that bridge when, if ever, I come to it!
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.