"That darned elusive........."

• 4 Replies

John J

"That darned elusive........."
« on: April 01, 2013, 11:52:33 AM »
"They seek him here they seek him there..."
His scientific name derives from the Greek 'anagallo' (I feel happy) and I think the majority of the population in Cyprus could use his help right now!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Jill S

Re: "That darned elusive........."
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 03:34:57 PM »
Just wish there was something we could do to help--but there isn't, other than sending our best wishes, and hope that it will work out better than it looks at the moment.
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 09:41:35 PM »
I hope the plant with such a nice name will bring a lot of happiness to both Greece and Cyprus.

Here in Norway it is often called 'Gro and Kåre' (I hope the second letter in the last name comes out right), after two former prime ministers, a 'red' and a 'blue' one, they were always quarrelling.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 11:04:25 PM »
It certainly is a very worrying situation for everyone. Even here in far away Australia we watch and read with interest and apprehension about the proposed 'solutions' to the financial mess created by free-wheeling financiers and bankers acting with too little prudence and too much personal greed. Dare I ask where govt. regulators and the supposed checks and balances were while this was happening? Just as well spring will be arriving on Cyprus to bring some cheer.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »
The situation in Cyprus is certainly very worrying and I am sure many of us in other countries are wondering what will happen next. However I like to think that as gardeners we have a lot of our "treasure "invested in the plants we grow, in more ways than one considering the prices we have to pay these days! and that time spent tending our gardens can help alleviate our worries. I know that just a few hours spent outside can be very theraputic and help to raise ones spirits. All good wishes John and all other members living in Cyprus  :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.