Plants for a new garden

• 8 Replies

Daisy

Plants for a new garden
« on: January 01, 2013, 10:21:31 AM »
I am so glad I found The MGS and this Forum. Because I want to understand how best to garden in the Med. I read everything I can, and have attended numerous courses at Kew and Wisley. But still everything I do in my Med garden seems to be experimental.

My garden is approximately ½ an acre, and my Finca is situated right in the middle.
Initally  I planted a number of trees  to create some shade, Fig, olive, Jacaranda, and  Palms.
Then over the years I have planted : Agapanthus,  Clivia,  Lantana, Agave,  Aloe, Canna,  Lavender, Callistemon viminalis,  Grapevine, Lemon, Yucca.
I have setup a good watering system, and have decided for the next couple of years whilst everything is getting fully established, I will bite the bullet and water as necessary.

If you had one choice, which plant would you recommend adding to my garden.

All help gratefully received

Roy (aka Westyboy)
Roy, I know you only asked for one suggestion for other plants, but I cannot resist.
You ask which plant we would recommend you add to your garden.
You make no mention of roses.
I find roses are so much easier to grow here than they were in England.
There is no black spot. Some may get a little powdery mildew, but they seem to grow out of it as they mature.
They don't seem to need any more water than the rest of the garden and some of them flower year round.
I have just been out to check to see which roses are flowering at the moment.
Aimee Vibert
Blush Noisette
Archduke Charles
Marechal Niel
Colombian Climber
Archduc Joseph
Lady Emma Hamilton
are all flowering at the moment.
Pretty Jessica was, but I cut her back to move her.
Roses are a must in any Mediterranean garden.

You ask for one choice, but I will also say just one more word.
SALVIAS.
There are so many other good plants, especially for filling in between your shrubs and trees.
What about Erigeron karvinskianus?
It seeds around a bit, but not enough to be a nuisance.

Lychnis coronaria. Seen here with rose William Shakespeare 2000.
Again it seeds around a bit, but is not a nuisance. In the winter, it has neat, silver grey rosettes.

Felicia amelliodes. Flowers most of the time.

Alstromerias and Nepeta Walkers Low. Both of these flower most of the time too.

Pinks, Dianthus in variety.

Plumbago capensis and Solanum rantonnettii.

Sedums, most of them.

Aster x frikatii Monch. Another plant that flowers for a long period.

...and of course all the spring bulbs.

I know this is more than you asked for, but there are so many beauties that can be used. This is just a tiny selection.
Daisy
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 12:47:43 PM by Alisdair »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

westyboy

• Email
Plants for a new garden
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 10:50:03 PM »
Wow......... thats some impressive plants and photography Daisy....Thanks

A couple of them I have already tried - Plumbago was a nightmare to control, and no longer resides here.
I have planted a number of bulbs this year. And once everything is in flower, I will get some pictures for you.

Felicia amelliodes looks like one to try, I struggled to find a supplier of seeds on the internet. Where would you suggest is the best place to obtain seeds. Because If I buy any plants from the garden centres here, I can never be that sure the variety is correct. (they never seem to write the full name on the label).

Your garden looks very colourful, and is a credit to you, well done.

Roy
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

Daisy

Plants for a new garden
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 10:58:51 AM »
Roy, I have looked as well and you are right. There doesn't seem to be seeds available anywhere.
The seeds that formed on mine, have all dispersed, so I cannot help at present.
However, I have not seen any other Felicia offered here, and would imagine, the same would be true where you live.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

westyboy

• Email
Plants for a new garden
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 07:01:39 PM »
I checked my local garden centre last week. And what stock they did have, was in poor condition. I paid them a visit today and they had restocked. I was able to pick up both felicia and Russelia. Which are now planted, and looking good.

Thanks for your suggestions.

;D
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

Janet Ibbotson

Plants for a new garden
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 07:53:11 PM »
Daisy, I love the Erigeron probably my favourite plant but find that in my garden it becomes a small brown shrivelled thing in Summer and only regenerates in the Autumn if well enough established before Summer starts.  Do yours also disappear in Summer and if not why not?
Janet Ibbotson
MGS Member currently based in Skopelos, Greece but also gardens in Norfolk

westyboy

• Email
Plants for a new garden
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:23:30 PM »
Thats a good point Janet. trying to get some of these plants to perform during the summer is a battle.
The area that I have planted Felicia, Osteospermum, Marguerites, and Erigeron will be for the first time this year in partial shade. I have included plenty of rocks to help shade the roots and installed a watering system. It will be interesting to see how they do.

Thats the interesting thing on the Mediterranean. The winters are easy, its surviving the Summer is the problem.

Roy
MGS member

westyboy

• Email
Plants for a new garden
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »
I would like to thank everyone for their input. Joining The MGS and this forum has had a major influence on me, and my garden.

I now have two compost bins in operation - heres hoping  :P

I have planted Russelia equisetiformis, Felicia amelliodes, and a variety of small succulents.

All my Roses are getting a revamp (to try and produce something similar to Daisy's masterpieces)

I have seeds in the process of germination from:

Erigeron karvinskianus, Lychnis coronaria, Lemon myrtle, Alstroemeria hookeri, Alstroemeria pygmaea, and Alstroemeria pulchra

I decided to make Alstroemerias my project for this year.
That was before I realised that they are not the easiest of seeds to germinate. (I think I know what to do  ???)

Who knows maybe even Zephyranthes next year.

Roy  ;D

MGS member

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Plants for a new garden
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 12:55:37 PM »
This topic was split off the separate topic on Composting in a mediterranean climate started by Roy ("Westyboy"), in the General Cultivation section. In her comments on composting there, Carole ("Umbrian") suggested one plant that she'd not be without - and I agree with her 100%. What she said was:
You really make it difficult with "one choice" Westyboy but something I would not like to be without is Russelia equisetiformis. This plant is a new "passion" of mine after seeing it in Sicily several years ago. I have to protect it in the winter but I am sure for you it would probably be OK. There are postings on the Forum about it. Unusual but simply spectacular to my mind when positioned well.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:06:30 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Trevor Australis

Re: Plants for a new garden
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 12:47:43 AM »
 :) One plant is too restrictive so instead I would urge everyone to make use of our very own seed exchange. The Hardy Plant Society (UK) used to have an excellent seed exchange too but I haven't been a member for quite a few years now. The Alpine Garden Society, The Scottish Rock Garden Club are also good sources for seed - not because you could try all sorts of high alpine 'delicacies' but because members of these groups grow under cover many things we can grow in our gardens - species tulips, species crocus, species narcissus, species anemone, on and on. The choices are magnificent. I stress species because many come from climatic regions similar to those in which we now garden whereas many hybrids have been bred, grown and selected in climates that are not like the Med. and these can be miffy. Anyway the species are really beautiful in their simplicity. Take roses as an example: the species roses are great in our conditions, but the Chinas, Teas, and modern shrub roses are also excellent. Of course, Teas and Chinas, were bred for the Riviera in the 1900's and that is why they are recommended to Med gardeners.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.