Backhousia citriodora (lemon Myrtle) seeds

• 6 Replies

westyboy

• Email
Backhousia citriodora (lemon Myrtle) seeds
« on: March 27, 2013, 09:54:43 PM »

I have recently acquired some Backhousia citriodora seeds.

Has anyone any experience of germinating these seeds?

All advice gratefully received  ::)
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

Trevor Australis

Re: Backhousia citriodora (lemon Myrtle) seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:45:43 PM »
Read up on smoke water and treat seeds accordingly. Wait. Things should begin to sprout within a week or two. Late Spring would be a good time to sow the seed once danger of frost and v. cold weather is past. Use planting tubes so the first tap roots don't twist round and round. Set the plants out at 6 months - 1 yr of age so root growth is not confined. Rabbit protection collars may be needed.

M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

westyboy

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 08:12:05 AM »
Thanks Trevor

Much obliged

MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 02:49:37 PM »
please see TMG vol 58, Oct 2009, p43.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

westyboy

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 08:29:27 PM »
Thanks David

I contacted Alec and he told me the same.

The article I wrote "Good Servant : Bad Master" can be found in issue 58 Oct 2009 page 43 of  "The Mediterranean Garden".

Having joined the MGS this year I do not have a backlog of journals to reference. Will I need to order that issue or is it possible

to access through the internet.

Roy
MGS member

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 09:38:13 AM »
Roy, unfortunately that article isn't one of those which can be downloaded direct from the internet. You can get back numbers from the Secretary - see inside front cover of the current The Mediterranean Garden, or click here and scroll down to Back Copies.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

westyboy

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 02:12:49 PM »
Thanks Alisdair

I have contacted Jane and requested a back copy.

In the mean time I have recreated the Australian outback here in Spain.

I placed two seeds in the pot, and left them for over an hour in the smoke. I will leave them for a couple of weeks and see what happens.
Hopefully by then I should have got to grips with Smoke water.

Roy
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:23:42 AM by westyboy »
MGS member