pink orchid ID'd as Anacamptis pyramidalis

• 7 Replies

Alice

pink orchid ID'd as Anacamptis pyramidalis
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:17:16 PM »
Is this Anacamptis pyramidalis?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:34:40 PM by Alisdair »
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: pink orchid
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:34:03 PM »
Yes it is, Alice - flowering now?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

Re: pink orchid ID'd as Anacamptis pyramidalis
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 01:43:04 AM »
No, Alisdair. The photo was taken at the end of April.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 11:08:23 AM »
That's reassuring! It would have been depressing to know that it was flowering so happily somewhere, when it's so very cold, muddy and dreary here in Sussex, UK! Not quite so beastly this morning, for the first time for weeks I felt slight sun-warmth as I was out helping a tracked digger extricate our ancient and normally utterly sure-footed Land Rover from the deep mud that - for the first time in its life - it was completely bogged down in.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 12:04:07 PM »
Oh, Alisdair, that sounds truly horrid! My sympathies. And I am sorry to do this, in the face of those bleak tales from the UK, but I can't resist: I saw these two lovely pyramids on Sunday evening (made long-suffering hubby stop the car so I could photograph them). Clearly you will just have to find more excuses to spend time in Portugal :)

I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »
Marilyn, at least that made me laugh! Thanks!
Alisdair Aird

Alice

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »
They could well be flowering already on Paros, Alisdair. It's just that we are not there to see them but are, like you, enjoying the arctic UK temperatures.
Your Anacamptis is truly pyramidal, Marilyn.
By the way, is the flowering period of terrestrial orchids long? I am thinking of the tropical epiphytic orchids, whose flowers last forever.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 04:07:52 PM »
It can be quite long - the further north and cooler they are, the longer the flowers last. Here in our Sussex UK garden, we have a colony of Dactylorrhiza fuchsii which are in flower for about six weeks in summer. But in a hot Greek spring, an individual Ophrys plant's flowers may go over in just a few days.
Alisdair Aird