aphids on Cercis siliquastrum

• 4 Replies

Chantal

aphids on Cercis siliquastrum
« on: June 25, 2011, 07:01:18 AM »
What can I do to get rid of the aphids on Cercis siliquastrum. I live in Montpellier (France) and I am not the only one here, to have problems with aphids on this tree and other shrubs of course.
My tree is very old, but flowering very freely in spring. The aphids arrive late, just after the leaves have grown. I don't particularly hate the aphids, what I don't like is the honeydew (I hope it is the right word in english) caused by the ants which are breeding the aphids.

Chantal
Montpellier (France)
Chantal Guiraud
Montpellier-France
MGS Seed Coordinator

"The flowers of spring are winter's dreams told in the morning at the table of the angels" (Khalil Gibran)

David Bracey

• Email
Re: aphids on Cercis siliquastrum
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 08:36:16 PM »
Chantal, you have two possibilities.  The first is to leave the aphids to get on with their lives and to hope that some predator such as lacewings, or ladybirds or something will come along and gobble them all up, or you give spray them with an aphicide such as deltamethrin which was discovered and patented in France.  It is very effective but being a synthetic pyrethroid it is very broad spectrum and will thus kill both good and bad insects.  Frankly if you spray the target only, there are plenty of areas left you predators to live and multiply without radically disturbing the ecology of the site. Bon choix. David
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Chantal

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 01:24:16 PM »
Thank you very much, David, for your answer.
I am sorry to tell you that, considering the width and heigth of the tree, it is an impossible task to spray everywhere. I will need a crane.
Perhaps, it is not so annoying, because, it happens each year and it flowers again each year.

Chantal Guiraud
Montpellier-France
MGS Seed Coordinator

"The flowers of spring are winter's dreams told in the morning at the table of the angels" (Khalil Gibran)

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:04:08 AM »
If it occurs every year  there shoud be a build-up of predators but as you know they generally arrive after the damage has been done.  I had C siliquastrum "Forest Pansy" - a super tree with leaves edged in purple -  in Uzes and each year it was attacked by a mysterious leafhopper and each year it was practically defoliated but each year it came back.  Result was a "little" tree.  Not very satisfactory.

Bisous David
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Chantal

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 07:21:33 AM »
Dear David,

Thank you for your answer.
Chantal Guiraud
Montpellier-France
MGS Seed Coordinator