Ancient Corinth

• 49 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Ancient Corinth
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2017, 07:38:50 AM »
I remember thinking just the same Charithea when we were part of a MGS holiday in Greece. As we drove towards our destination on the first day I thought the poppies along the roadside were a different variety because they were such a deeper red to those that adorn our roadsides and fields. Could be the soil I suppose - an interesting experiment to collect seed......
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »
Plenty of flowers for the May Wreath in a field between Ancient Corinth and the sea
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2018, 07:56:48 AM »
A short walk in the village of Ancient Corinth
MGS member

Charithea

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2018, 01:20:40 PM »
Hilary, I bet you enjoyed every bit of the way.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2019, 06:29:04 PM »
I posted in this thread in May 2014 about the Justinian or Hexamillion Wall, six mile wall.

On Sunday we went out to look at a piece of wall next to the Epidaurus road.
This stretch of wall, near Isthmia, turns out to be  another part of the  Hexamillion Wall of which there are several stretches scattered across the Isthmus, some more preserved than others.

When I started walking along an old road next to the wall I was rather disappointed as it just looked like a pile of stones but spring was upon us and there were thousands of wild flowers growing on the sides and on top.

Now I have found this reference to the construction of the wall

”The wall was constructed with a rubble and mortar core faced with square stones “

which explains the look of it on the west side, the square stones had found another home .

The east side the wall has the appearance of a  proper fortification with worked stones and two turrets.

There, although, the ground looked flat it was covered by dense vegetation hiding ankle twisting stones; because of this I didn’t try to get closer
MGS member