Ancient Corinth

• 63 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Ancient Corinth
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2017, 07:38:50 AM »
I remember thinking just the same Charithea when we were part of a MGS holiday in Greece. As we drove towards our destination on the first day I thought the poppies along the roadside were a different variety because they were such a deeper red to those that adorn our roadsides and fields. Could be the soil I suppose - an interesting experiment to collect seed......
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »
Plenty of flowers for the May Wreath in a field between Ancient Corinth and the sea
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2018, 07:56:48 AM »
A short walk in the village of Ancient Corinth
MGS member

Charithea

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2018, 01:20:40 PM »
Hilary, I bet you enjoyed every bit of the way.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2019, 06:29:04 PM »
I posted in this thread in May 2014 about the Justinian or Hexamillion Wall, six mile wall.

On Sunday we went out to look at a piece of wall next to the Epidaurus road.
This stretch of wall, near Isthmia, turns out to be  another part of the  Hexamillion Wall of which there are several stretches scattered across the Isthmus, some more preserved than others.

When I started walking along an old road next to the wall I was rather disappointed as it just looked like a pile of stones but spring was upon us and there were thousands of wild flowers growing on the sides and on top.

Now I have found this reference to the construction of the wall

”The wall was constructed with a rubble and mortar core faced with square stones “

which explains the look of it on the west side, the square stones had found another home .

The east side the wall has the appearance of a  proper fortification with worked stones and two turrets.

There, although, the ground looked flat it was covered by dense vegetation hiding ankle twisting stones; because of this I didn’t try to get closer
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2021, 06:46:44 AM »
On Sunday we set off on what I had planned as a round trip in the area passing by olive groves and other cultivated areas interspersed with wild areas in the hope of finding some flowers I had not already snapped. 
We never did find the road I had planned we take but ended up at a few dead ends and were given incomprehensible directions from the couple of people we asked. However, there were plenty of roads and fields to choose from and you can’t get lost with Acrocorinth looming over the area.
We stopped at a field with a view down to Corinth and the sea and back to Acrocorinth and its castle. I was going to walk in the olive grove then realized it looked as if it had been sown with some kind of cereal crop. I have never seen that before and wonder if it is an anti-Bermuda buttercup measure, there was plenty of evidence of this invasive plant. Instead, I walked up the road which was a little lower than the field and took some photos of wild flowers and a butterfly which would not stay still, an Old-World swallowtail.
Unfortunately, I have not gone to the trouble to find out all the names of the flowers we saw but have satisfied myself with yellow flower and blue flower. If anyone wants to enlighten me, I would be grateful

The place was very noisy with all the insects buzzing around on their business

I was thrilled to see the two bindweed flowers with incumbent insects. 

The last photo is of Acrocorinth looking very green
MGS member

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2021, 10:26:28 AM »
We are seeing reports of wild-fires through Greece, including Corinth.
I hope our forumists are all safe,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Hilary

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2021, 04:37:12 PM »
I don't think there are any fires in Corinthia at the moment.

Just seen on FB that a fire was approaching Gryllis nursery at Marathon but it was quickly extinguished

I keep thinking about all our members with or without gardens scattered around Greece

The situation is heartbreaking
MGS member

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2021, 07:55:25 AM »
Worrying times indeed- like Fermi I hope all our members are keeping safe.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2021, 08:53:48 AM »
Ancient Corinth on a hot day in September 2021

Nothing at all in the way of wild flowers to see but it is always a joy to visit the site especially now when the tourist groups are slowly making their way back, armed with the necessary certificates.

There are some benches for the tourist groups to sit on under pine trees and cool off while the tour guide explains about the history of the site and what they will see on their way around.

On our way down the Lechaion Road I noticed an Olive tree, a Pomegranate tree and what looks like an Almond tree all of which I had never noticed before

As always Acrocorinth looms over the site and gets into many photos

A few years ago, I had promised to go back to the site to identify a certain pine tree, well I have not done so yet. I will put it on my ‘Sunday trips this winter’ list and hope that the ancient site is still open to the public

MGS member

Charithea

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2021, 01:06:17 PM »
Thank you, once more, Hilary for your excursion photographs.  I really miss our trips to Greece.  When our daughter taught in Kifissia she used to explore  Greece and we would get cards and letters describing them. There are still a lot of Ancient ruins that we have not seen.  Maybe next year?
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2021, 08:25:14 AM »
The Diolkos
I posted the first photo of the Diolkos, which connected the Gulf of Corinth with the Saronic Gulf, on this Forum in May 2013

Now a photo of the same scene looking towards the canal after the recent clearing and cleaning of the area

The third photo is of the Diolkos looking towards the Gulf of Corinth end of the canal
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2022, 10:44:18 AM »
A SUNDAY WALK IN AN OLIVE GROVE UNDER ACROCORINTHOS

We went for a drive on Sunday looking for yet another ancient ruin, which we didn’t find
However, I did get to walk in this olive grove carpeted with low plants and some very small flowers. It was so good to see the flowers which had survived the recent snow.
It was also good to see young trees among the old
The crenelations of the castle on top of Acrocorinthos were quite visible but are not so obvious in the photo
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2022, 09:16:46 AM »
Sunday 20th February
We went in search of the Early Christian church dedicated to Saint Kodratos, just north of Ancient Corinth. What looked to be a good road on Goggle Earth turned out to be a narrow, concreted road which then deteriorated into an unpaved track
I walked down part of the road and saw that we weren't up to going down the path either on foot or in the car. The Church appeared to be fenced in so I took a photo which shows the outline in the building, which looks large.
Afterwards we went to the flat area across the National Road looking for wild flowers and to get some exercise. Again, all the flowers were tiny except the wild mustard which was in full bloom.
I liked the view of Acrocorinth with the strip of winter corn then the yellow mustard backed by dry canes
The photos would have been better if the sun had come out
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2022, 10:44:57 AM »
Monday 7th  March,
 ΚΑΘΑΡΑ ΔΕΥΤΕΡΑ, CLEAN MONDAY

We decided to go in search of the climbing wall near the village of Solomos, south of Corinth. These drives are always an opportunity for me to snap wild flowers.

We had a leaflet giving instructions on how to reach this cliff and also a note saying not to make a noise which would  distract the climbers. We didn’t go near the wall at all but could see an ant sized person climbing and could hear someone talking, giving instructions?

I enjoyed the views through the olive trees
1 The climbing wall
2 Acrocorinth from the south
4 Penteskoufi, from the south
4 The view towards, Corinth, Loutraki and Gerania
5 Swathes of Grape Hyacinths under the olive trees
6 A group of Star of Bethlehem
7 A small yellow flower, could it be Meadow Gagea?
8 A lone Anemone
9 And the star of the show, a Giant Orchid 
MGS member