Papaya Tree

• 8 Replies

westyboy

• Email
Papaya Tree
« on: March 20, 2013, 07:09:17 PM »
A few years ago, a nieghbour purchased a papaya from the supermarket and potted the seeds.
She gave ten seedlings to a group of us.
Everyones died except for the one I planted. As you can see it is in good condition and at least 20 feet tall.
I can take no credit, because with my travelling over the last five years, it has been totally neglected.

Now that I am resident in Spain, I have decided to give it more attention.

Its obviously a female plant, as the male papayas do not fruit. But from what I have read the plants can range
from totally female to totally male and can be anywhere inbetween. It seems to be self-pollinating as there are no
other papayas nearby.

The fruit this year looks to be getting larger than previous years. In the past I have picked the small papayas and when
they are opened they have no seeds, I am wondering if that is just lack of maturity, or possibly the source of the seed.
Even though the fruit has been small, it has been extremely tasty.

If anyone has any tips, all suggestions gratefully received.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:29:01 AM by westyboy »
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

pamela

Re: Papaya Tree
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 07:29:44 PM »
Now that is some Papaya! Congratulations !  Some times papayas have no seeds inside.  This happens often with tropically grown papaya.  I dont think its lack of maturity as I have eaten them fully ripe without seeds.   By the way you can eat them greenish if they are not ripening properly (but if these are the fruit of mid March you will have all summer for them to ripen).  We have eaten grated green papaya salad on the island of Ha'apai (near Tongatapu) where there are virtually no green vegetables to speak of.  Its really nice ! Papayas grow on the beaches there.  I have two small ones from seed and now in the garden but I am not confident as we have had some very cold drying winds recently.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:34:58 PM by pamela »
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

John

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 12:00:52 AM »
We saw these two peering over a wall in Olhão, in the Algarve the other day. I was quite surprised that they were so happy and productive if rather wind battered.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:02:46 AM by John »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

westyboy

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 08:10:27 PM »
If you decide that your papaya tree is to tall. And you cut it back.
It produces two trunks from where you cut it.

So that might be just one Papaya tree peering over the wall.
 ;D
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

John

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 11:29:04 PM »
You could be right, I have no way of knowing.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »
A relative of the papaya/paw-paw is the babaco, Carica x pentagona (syn. Vasconcellea × heilbornii), a wild hybrid from the Andes foothills in Ecuador. It seems to be slightly more cold-tolerant than the papaya itself, fruiting readily in less tropical conditions. We saw this one fruiting well in David Glenn's experimental tropical-fruit garden at Heronswood, near Melbourne, during the MGS visit to Victoria and South Australia last October.  David's climate is more or less mediterranean, and he said his "tree" (like papayas, they're really overgrown herbaceous plants) had been perfectly happy in both hot dry summers and slight frosts.
He said that the flavour was broadly similar to papaya (which he hasn't been able to grow to fruit so well), though less musky and perhaps rather blander.
Has anyone tried this? Like the papaya, it's very quick to fruit from seed - in ideal conditions, within a year.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

pamela

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:51:27 PM »
Babaco were first grown in New Zealand along with Cucumis metuliferus, horned melon (or laterly named Kiwano by some NZ friends of mine who started to grow and export them) around 20 years ago as alternative to exportng Kiwifruit.  Kiwifruit were starting to be grown elsewhere in the world and New Zealand growers were looking for new exportable fruit. Both have never taken off either locally or for export due to the very bland flavours. I dont think for one minute Babaco tastes like Papaya and I have eaten plenty.   Both fruits are insipid, watery and frankly not worth the bother. 
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

John

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:43:45 AM »
Are they improved by candying?
John

westyboy

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 12:41:21 PM »
I have never tasted a Babaco, but I have eaten lots of Papaya (Pawpaw) and I love them.
MGS member