Tomatoes and cucumbers or other in the Ionian Islands

• 3 Replies

Himbeere

• Email
Tomatoes and cucumbers or other in the Ionian Islands
« on: March 19, 2013, 12:03:28 AM »
Hello, I am new to this group and will be spending  2 months + on one of the Ionian Islands, I am planning to start a garden patch there, as you can imagine the weather is very hot and dry from June - Sept. What type of veggies are good and easy to start in a dry climate? Is it better from a seed or a plant?
Thank you ....Looking forward for your suggestions... :)
Hello! I am very excited to be part of your Gardening group and am looking forward to learning more about gardening on the Ionian Islands, as well as sharing my experience.

Alice

Re: Tomatoes and cucumbers or other in the Ionian Islands
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 01:58:30 AM »
I have limited experience growing vegetables in a mediterranean climate, as we are not there for long enough stretches. But peppers, bought locally as small plants and watered twice weekly by automatic drip irrigation, did very well in a really hot area of the garden.
A lot would depend on how long you are there for and during which season.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 10:32:38 AM »
Seed takes time..however you can try all sorts of lettuce, spinach, herbs, mash or rampon in the autumn. I like to seed broadcast in small 1mx1m beds, in succession.  This alows a succession of young and old plants and helps keep weeds under control.  I simply cut young lettuce with scissors-  For most the rest tomatoes, pepèpers, aubergines, squash,brassicas, beetroot,  you can grow from plants. Buy and transplant the young plants when they become available in you local market. That is the best time. Watch and follow your neighbour that is the best advice.

Potatoes grow well as do globe artichokes and J. artichokes.  There must be others.

Water as necessary.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 11:28:42 AM »
There is another thread on this forum which might give you some information, see: Growing vegetables in Cephalonia (http://www.mgsforum.org/smf/index.php?topic=689.0).
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.