Med basin rainfall 2013

• 10 Replies

pamela

Med basin rainfall 2013
« on: August 28, 2013, 07:58:35 AM »
Here right on the coast in the Costa Blanca (Cabo la Nao) we have had exactly 176.8mm of rain since 01 January.  Mallorca (north east of our cape) seems to be getting huge amounts according to the satellite.   I think we are seriously missing out as we normally should have around 600mm for the year.  I am interested to compare other rainfalls in the Med Basin for this period. Have others got figures to date?  Are they less or more than normal?
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

SusanIbiza

• Email
Re: Med basin rainfall 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:08:10 AM »
Over the last 48 hours we have had 45 mm courtesy of 2 thunderstorms.  We are on the south west side of Ibiza which is one of the driest parts of the island.  This is our first drop of rain since the end of January.  Our daughter lives on the top of a hill above San Jose and they get much more rain than we do.  We seem to be in a rain shadow.  I think we are supposed to have 600mm annually but we have received nothing like that.  I  have set up a spreadsheet to keep an accurate record but only since Jan 2013.   :)
Now gardening in Ibiza, Balearics having moved last year from Queensland, Australia.  Mediterranean gardening is my challenge now, there is such a lot to learn, but it is lots of fun.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 01:21:00 AM »
I don't have any statistics but the article at the link verifies my impression, Wet, wet, wet spring followed by overnight change with little time for seedlings to establish and acclimatise. :(

MGS seedlist might suffer this year due to shortage of seeds for members to contribute? Hope not - I am relying on it for, hopefully, a more successful growing season

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/may/31/italy-shivers-cursed-spring-relentless-rain
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

pamela

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 09:25:06 AM »
Well,  in typically in a coastal mediterranean situation things can change very dramatically. After 3 storms last week our annual rainfall is at now 400mm (233mm in two days) and there is more to come!  The amazing flowering which has been going on since the rains is a sight to behold! 

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 06:33:02 PM »
Lucky you - take some 'photos please ;D
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

gertrude

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »
RAIN whats that? I neededto look up the word in the dictionary both in Italian and English !!!! Havent see any in months.  As Umbrian says, \lucky you ,take a photo.
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

pamela

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 12:17:23 PM »
Hello Carol
I havent got time to take any photos (except for my 6 new mangos!) as I shouldn't even be on this website instead I should be in the garden preparing everything for 2 months away.  We are visiting Japan for the first time and will be seeing a number of Japanese gardens as well as other places including the Chatham Islands which have some amazing endemic plants, one being (Myosotidium hortensia
  Very exciting!    
The ground here has been so much easier to work since the rain and it feels like I have a 'normal' garden for once.  Hope you are keeping well.

pamela

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 12:28:44 PM »
Hello Janice
I must tell you when Peter told me (in France?) about how the value of Vinca under pines and difficult areas , I took his word for it and planted Vinca minor and V. difformis.  They are simply great plants in our environment.  The beautiful starry pale blue flowers sparkle in the Spring in this challenging area. Here they are not rampant, just need a haircut in Autumn.
It was great advice as they are so underestimated and they dont need watering once established.  Love them!

Joanna Savage

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »
Speaking of the weather this week, I am wondering if I should really be a member of MGS. Two weeks ago, I certainly qualified with weeks of max temps around 34 degrees. Since then we have had over 100 mm rain, max temps have dropped ten degrees and there seems to be rain forecast for the coming days. Still, the med. plants are looking happy. I noticed on a BBC Europe weather site that our Cyprian members still have temps up to 37. No wonder the mangoes grow.

John J

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »
Joanna, I would love to swap some of our sunshine for a little of your rain. At our elevation 30/40 m asl we have had no rain since Apr/May and possibly won't get any until at least Nov/Dec. I have just come in from the garden where I have been trying to keep up with a few of the many tasks that are outstanding but even simple 'pottering about' results in perspiring profusely, to put it politely! At least when the sun goes down the temperature has begun to drop to the point were it is pleasant to sit outside in the evenings.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Daisy

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 11:17:48 AM »
Well, we had a short, sharp, shower two evenings ago. The first rain on my garden since the 9th of May.
I wasn't expecting it and had to do a mad dash to collect my book, magazine, reading glasses, cushion and other odds and ends I tend to leave out overnight.
I got absolutely soaked ::) ::) ::)
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS