Albino seedlings

• 2 Replies

Alice

Albino seedlings
« on: March 08, 2013, 02:02:39 AM »
We germinated seeds of Nerium oleander, harvested from our garden. Strangely some (about 18%) came up as completely white seedlings. I have not seen anything like this before. I assume that if they can't photosynthesize they will not survive.
I wonder if anyone has come across anything similar?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Trevor Australis

Re: Albino seedlings
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 02:10:41 AM »
Was the source of the seed a variegated Oleander? We have a huge variegated holly that generates ample seed. When these germinate a significant %  are white. And, Yes, they die soon after the first seed leaves mature.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alice

Re: Albino seedlings
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 04:14:39 PM »
Trevor, the seed came from two different plants, one with pink flowers, the other with salmon flowers, both with normal green leaves. I have not seen a variegated oleander in the area.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.