Catnip

• 12 Replies

Alice

Catnip
« on: February 28, 2013, 06:16:34 PM »
Each following morning the cat tracks have headed straight to the T.marum., commonly known as Cat Thyme. The poor plant has no leaves left, even though I thought it was well protected by netting. Clever creatures,  cats. How could the plant ever survive in its natural habitat?

I reluctantly gave up on Teucrium marum. Even planted among the strongest smelling herbs the cats immediately sussed it out as you've described. And the big toms rolling about started to destroy the neighbouring plants too.

Thank you for that information, Joanna and Fleur. I didn't know that cats were attracted to Teucrium marum. I will have to provide a shrub for our part-time cat on Paros!
Interestingly whenever I have tried offering catnip to cats in Greece they have not shown the slightest interest. I understand that only about 80% of cats react to it and susceptibility is gene-linked. Knowing that the responsible chemical in catnip (Nepeta cataria) was nepetalactone I did a little online research and discovered that the volatile substances emitted by Teucrium marum were: dolichodial, bergamotene, caryophyllene, dolicholactone, bisabolene, estragole and sesquiphellandrene (Flavour and Fragrance Journal, 2013, 28 (1), pp 14-24). Dolicholactone and nepetalactone are both non-glycosidid iridoids and their chemical structures are very similar, indicating that they might act at the same receptor (in the vomeronasal organ above the feline palate - this is your territory, Jorun) and that dolicholactone is the cat-attractant chemical in T. marum. I wonder, would cats that don't react to N. cataria also not react to T. marum?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Catnip
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 07:38:01 AM »
We had one cat which would get intoxicated by cat-thyme and we had to drag her off it;when she died we planted cuttings on her grave which grew into nice little bushes. Our second cat enjoys it but not to the same extent. I've heard that some peopel plant it in hanging baskets to keep it away from the moggies ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 09:39:06 AM »
Fermi, That's an idea - but click on this picture;)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Daisy

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 09:46:59 AM »
Brilliant photo Alisdair.
It gave me the giggles. ;D ;D ;D
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 03:16:09 PM »
Obviously no easy answer to this problem ::)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alice

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 02:17:17 AM »
Found a soft comfortable hanging bed to enjoy its fix, perhaps...?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Hilary

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 08:15:51 AM »
Catmint in my mother's garden in the North of England.
The neighbour's cat spent most of the afternoon asleep in its shade.
Mother, catmint and I suppose cat, McDuff, all long gone.

MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 12:00:10 PM »
Na ziseis na tous thymasai, Hilary
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Daisy

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 03:34:16 PM »

My cat, above has never shown any interest in my catmint.
However, we have a temporary lodger, Mavros, our friends cat.
They are in England, for four months.
He loves the catmint, but, even more, he loves the Calamintha nepetoides.
He makes a beeline for it all the time. He plays in it, lays in it and sleeps in it.
Any attempt to get him off of it is futile.
I don't know what he will think when I put souvlaki skewers all through it ;D
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alice

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 03:44:37 PM »
This topic seems to have flushed the cat lovers out!
Daisy, your cat is gorgeous. What is her/his name?
Here is Cephus, sleeping on a bed of straw in the shade of an olive tree.

Apart from the already mentioned Nepeta cataria (catnip, catmint), Teucrium marum (cat thyme) and Calamintha nepetoides (lesser calamint), other plants which some cats love or which contain cat-attracting chemicals are: Valeriana officinalis (valerian) - strange, considering it stinks of dirty socks - , Actinidia polygama (silver vine), Menyanthes trifoliata (buckbean, bog-bean), the parasitic Boschniakia rossica, Tecoma stans, Campsis radicans, Viburnum opulus (guelder rose), Origanum dictamnus (Cretan dittany), Nemophilla menziesii (baby blue eyes), Lippia javanica (Cape verbena), Nepeta nepetella, Valeriana phu, V. celtica (Alpine valerian) and the wood of Lonicera tatarica (Tatarian honeysuckle).

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 07:01:03 PM »
Alice, you said "...Valeriana officinalis (valerian) - strange, considering it stinks of dirty socks..."
but that might explain something I'd never understood, which is why cats so often rub themselves against my ankles?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 04:16:15 PM »
Another proof, Alisdair?

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 05:22:06 PM »
Nice one, Alice!
Alisdair Aird