Ixia

• 42 Replies

Fermi

• Email
Re: Ixia
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2020, 11:05:19 AM »
Thanks, Hilary.
I was reflecting today on how the weather is starting to warm up as we head towards summer. It's been predicted that we'll have a wet season due to the La Nina effect. It would be a relief to have less of a fire threat but I'll believe it when I see it! I'm glad that I've been able to share some pics of a cool spring garden here for you guys on the other side of the world can enjoy while the weather there is still hot
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Charithea

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2020, 12:31:13 PM »
Also from me. I have not had time to write earlier but the flowers are amazing.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2020, 12:52:51 PM »
Re your earlier post and the situation in the Northern Hemisphere, "weather is still hot"..... If only. My little garden is loving it but I find early morning temperatures of 9 and 10 degrees just a little bit too much like winter for my liking. Crazy weather for October too. September is usually the wet month and by October we have settled into glorious autumn days - my favourite month. Not so this year. The rain was late in arriving, stressing the plants, but it has rained a lot over the last 2-3 weeks and there is more to come. Is it only Rome?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2020, 04:19:46 PM »
David, here in Limassol we haven't seen a drop of rain for about 6 months. All summer the daytime temps have been in the mid to high 30s, sometimes into the 40s. Even in October they have remained in the mid to high 30s, crazy for this time of year. This morning we opened the blinds to see an unusual sight - clouds. It stayed a little overcast all day and the temperature came down to a reasonable level, but still no sign of rain and it seems the forecast is for it to go back up again. We would love some of your rain, please.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2020, 12:39:52 AM »
BBC weather Rome shows some sun forecast around the weekend. But there is a price to pay - lows of 6°C during the night. In mid-October!!!!!. People were wearing winter coats this evening.

We had 4 months of sun without a drop of rain but, although consistently high temperatures, there were fewer days around 40°C than we usually get.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2020, 01:06:59 PM »
More of this year's ixia hybrids
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2020, 11:25:01 AM »
More than a month after the other form of Ixia odorata finished flowering we have the first flowers on a form grown from seed from Silver Hills sown in 2018; there is a bit of variation in colour with some with a small dark centre,
cheers
fermi

Charithea

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2020, 12:35:51 PM »
They are beautiful and this 'yellow' is so much more likeble.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2021, 07:58:55 AM »
Raised from seed as Ixia estherhuyseniae but more likely to be something like Ixia versicolor,
cheers
fermi

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2021, 07:59:25 AM »
Beautiful additions to any garden - must try to get some.😊
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2021, 03:19:41 PM »
I've previously posted a pic of this ixia thinking it was a form of I. polystachya, but I've been told that it's most likely a hybrid of Ixia rapunculoides,
cheers
fermi

Charithea

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2021, 04:18:45 PM »
Fermi , I love the Ixia posting. So many colours. I have mentioned before that we have some but not such a great variety as yours.  I have been reading an article in the MG Oct 2021 regarding bulbs for Med Gardens by  Johannes Ulrich Urban.  I found the information interesting and I am tempted to buy some bulbs and try them out.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2021, 06:20:55 AM »
Hi Charithea,
I'm an enthusiast for bulbs and especially like the South African ones because they do well in our part of the world.
If you choose bulbs that come from similar climatic zones to your own you can have a lot of success and enjoy a wide range of flowers.
Only Ixia odorata and I. polystachya left to flower now, though the 'Teal' seedlings will continue for a little while,
cheers
fermi