Kennedya - running postman et al.

• 18 Replies

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Kennedya - running postman et al.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 08:17:23 AM »
Thanks for your reply. Perhaps La Casina di Lorenzo agreed with your comment about their website because it 's now "under construction". I'll try again later in the season. How do you think that the Kennedyas blend in with other mediterranean plants?
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 07:40:53 PM »
Uhmmm... they would be for the  irrigated areas, near the house for instance, or a pergola for dining al fresco. I think they would also do well at the base of a retaining wall, where moisture collects. They tend to behave like a clematis - take shade on the roots and go look for light  with their canopy.
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10

Trevor Australis

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 11:12:17 PM »
The Running Postman, the red flowered species, is a prostrate scrambler that grows quite flat and trails over rocks and soil, so it would be well displayed falling over a wall. The black flowered sp. is a very vigorous climber, twining its way skyward by any means of support including trees, sheds and large pergolas - and even then the buildings would be smothered with rampant growth that seems completely undeterred by pruning or hacking.  tn.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 12:05:56 PM »
Thanks to both for the help.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece