Jasminum mesnyi

• 12 Replies

John J

Jasminum mesnyi
« on: February 05, 2012, 09:39:19 AM »
I always associate the colour yellow with spring, it seems to be the predominent colour at that time of year. One of the first plants in our garden to break out in a mass of yellow is the Primrose Jasmine (Jasminum mesnyi). It looks best where it can cascade, over a frame or down a wall I always think. Unfortunately no scent but we have the other Jasmines for that.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Daisy

Re: Jasminum mesnyi
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 03:02:18 PM »
That is a lovely photo John J.
There are a couple of gardens that have this plant in the town of Irapetra on the south coast of Crete.
They are growing through and cascading over a wrought iron fence and look elegant and cheerful.
I see them every week at this time of year, as I have a passion for fresh peas in the pod and the Saturday market in Irapetra is the only place I can find them, this early in the season. ::) ::) ::)
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Daisy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:43:49 PM »
I took a trip around the Bay of Mirabello this morning, and found this.

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 06:50:55 PM »
What a beautiful specimen! Jasminum mesnyi is a lovely species, but it is essential not to prune it back in the late summer/autumn - otherwise you lose all the winter/spring blossom along those long arching shoots. Every year we ask Eleftheria who looks after our garden in our absence to be sure not to cut back ours, but she can't abide what strikes her as untidiness, and every January we arrive to find just a handful of flowers on the few smaller shoots which have escaped her attentions.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Trevor Australis

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 11:24:49 PM »
Robyn and Ian Powell at TUPELO GROVE have a very compact dwarf jasmine. I'm not sure of its name but maybe Alasdair's garden 'helper' would be able to abide it? tn
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 09:19:57 AM »
Sounds a nice plant, Trevor! But we put our J. mesnyi in a corner of a courtyard, stone retaining walls behind it, intended as an understorey to the jacaranda we planted there (which usually keeps its leaves well into late winter). We imagined the jasmine producing long cascades of gold to liven up that corner in winter/early spring, but what it always is in its too-pruned state is a big bushy largely unproductive clump of growth.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Daisy

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 12:15:37 PM »
You are a lot more forbearing than I am Alistair.
I would be hopping mad. >:( >:( >:(

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 10:41:50 PM »
If it's any consolation to you, Alisdair, My Jasminum mesnyi has never been pruned and still doesn't flower.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 10:23:24 AM »
We let our J mesnyi grow and grow and grow. No pruning. It never fails to flower.  A must for medgardens so longasyou have plenty of room.

Another yellow flower in the spring.  I wonderwhy so many springflowers are this colour?
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 10:27:03 AM »
Re ' I wonderwhy so many springflowers are this colour?': Don't you think there is a connection between the insects present at that time of the year and their preference for yellow?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

david glen

Re: Jasminum mesnyi and the colour yellow
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »
Regarding the question about the why of flowers' colours, and specifically yellow , there was an article in the journal or perhaps a book review ( in the last few years) on this subject. Also in wiki you'll find the question, but I don't think there's a sure answer.
David Glen. MGS member

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 09:52:05 AM »
My article,TMG no64 page 51 concluded "why are so many spring flowers yellow?. I am not really sure" and then with my tongue in my cheek, I concluded "maybe the yellow colour is just irresistible to pollinating insects" ! ..........
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 12:02:06 PM »
 I had a eureka moment last night.  Spring flowers are yellow because they are successful. Yellow is a bright colour and attracts pollinating insects .. Simple Darwinism, survival of the fittest.
MGS member.