Kennedya - running postman et al.

• 18 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Kennedya - running postman et al.
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:08:30 AM »
Helena kindly brought this plant to my attention, specifically Kennedia prostrata, running postman.
Some species are climbers, but this is groundcover.

Not having heard of it before, and initial searching confirming it worth looking into, I come to our forum to ask if anyone here has experience of it.

A couple of useful write-ups:
- http://www.australianplants.com/plants.aspx?id=1554
- http://www.thelovelyplants.com/page/8/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:08:21 AM by Alisdair »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Kennedya - running postman et al.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:38:11 PM »
I found K. prostrata came very easily from seed sown under glass in the early spring, but none of the plants I planted out in our hot Greek garden in the following autumn survived - I'm sure that I left planting them out too late, and think they may have been more successful sown in situ.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:08:41 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Trevor Australis

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:39:02 PM »
I think you are right about dorect planting Alisdair. Plants sold here by the local Woods & Forests Dept nursery are grown in very long plastic tubes with no bottom. The seedlings produce a very long first root and go, naturally enough, straight to the bottom and out into the gravel on the nursery standing ground. So the plants are sold when they seem very small but it is the best way since the tap-root 'resent' being broken during transplanting or potting on.  tn
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:08:57 AM by Alisdair »
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:46:21 AM »
Where did you get the seed from, Alisdair?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:09:11 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:02:37 AM »
From the RHS Lily Group (none in their list this year).
But I know you can get seeds from Chiltern Seeds and from Rareplants - both listed in our Forum List of Plant Suppliers, but if you click on their names in blue, in this posting, you should go straight to their websites anyway.
Incidentally, most of the Australian Kennedya species including K. prostrata are now reckoned to be Caulinias, but everyone still seems to call them Kennedyas - which is why I haven't followed our usual rule and renamed this thread.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:09:30 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 12:11:52 PM »
Many thanks for the replies, folks - what a mine of information the MGS is :)
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Trevor Australis

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 11:18:27 PM »
What a shame about the name change. Kennedy was a nurseryman entrusted with many early seed collections in Australia inc those by Joseph Banks and Solander. Kennedy's daughter is said to have been 'afinnanced' to Joseph Banks for many years during which he was travelling and botanising but when he finally returned home she was dropped by him. The cad. tn

Joanna Savage

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 08:42:08 AM »
Trevor, Is that the same Kennedy, Edmund,  who made the Cape York expedition with Jacky Jacky? I have a new book of poems by Andrew Snedden 'Ghost Armies' about that journey. The particular poem is the Wait-a-While Vine, referring to the 'lawyer' or 'wait-a-while' vine. In his note p.69 AS  says that the vine is a Calamus whose 'thorns get their hooks into you, and force you to wait while you unhook yourself.'

Kennedya had a slightly second-best reputation in subtropical gardening in the 60's and 70's. It was seen as a poor relation to Sturt's Desert Pea.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 08:54:50 AM »
I'll have to check in the Dict of Biography but I don't think that was Kennedy's Christian name. tn

Trevor Australis

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 09:14:25 AM »
The nurseryman Kennedy was Robert. I'm still trying to check Edmund - strangely he doesn't figure in the Dictionary of Australian Garden History.  tn

helenaviolet

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 02:54:49 PM »
I am delighted to see so much interest in Kennedia .... hope this helps - according to Wikipedia "The genus was named by Etienne Pierre Ventenat after John Kennedy, a partner in the renowned firm of nurserymen, Lee and kennedy of Hammersmith, London."

Something to remember when growing Australian native plants: They dislike having their roots disturbed so plant them carefully and leave alone. Also forget about transplanting if you put them in the wrong spot. 

I live in Central Victoria, Australia. This is very much a "Mediterranean" climate with long hot summers and cold frosty winters. Citrus grows well here. I am interested in species and cultivars of Viola which will grow in this climate.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 06:19:14 PM »
Thanks, Alisdair.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »
We grow two climbing members of the genus: Kennedia coccinea and K. nigricans, both rampant and aggressive climbers. The latter specially can grow 4 meters high , or more, in one season. It is in bloom right now, and will go on until April; the flowers are very exotic but not really showy,   being jet black with a yellow tongue they sort of disappear among the foliage; anyhow they are very attractive and piece of entertaiment  for visitors, who marvel at its blackness.
The coccinea , on the other hand, is really showy and the  red flowers are beautifully enhanced by the fresh green foliage.
Never tried the prostrata. but it looks very interesting, worrth trying!
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 08:48:39 AM »
Did you find them in an Italian nursery?

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 08:34:27 PM »
Well, coccinea has been growing here for decades, I think Lady Walton imported it from UK. I bought Nigricans from an Italian nursery that is based in Lucca, that I already mentioned before - La Casina di Lorenzo.
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10