How not to plant a rose

• 5 Replies

Daisy

How not to plant a rose
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:44:09 AM »
One of my favourite climbing roses, is Mme Alfred Carriere. I grew her when I lived in England so I wanted to try her here too.
But where to plant her? There was no room left in my little garden.
I ended up planting her between two, black plum trees that are only four feet apart.
It is the worst possible place to plant a rose. Dark, full of tree roots, no space.
But I had faith, or was that stupidity? She just sat there for two years. She was alive but that was all.
Then last summer, she suddenly started growing and actually flowered for the first time. She only had one flush but then, she put on even more growth and has now reached out of the trees tops.
I am hoping for  even more better things this year.
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: How not to plant a rose
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:41:52 AM »
But is it in a box?
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

yvesans

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 05:54:27 PM »
Lovely pictures, thanks
Active gardener all year round in Cyprus, nature always wins!

Trevor Australis

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 09:39:57 PM »
Is it grafted or on its own roots?  tn
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

westyboy

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »
Wonderful Daisy, Your garden is an inspiration

Is that Alstroemeria in the background of the first photo?

What have you planted on each step?

Well done, the quality of the photography is impressive as well.

Roy
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

Daisy

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 01:45:18 PM »
 Fleur, your question gave me the giggles. ;D
Yes it is in a box with the obliging donkey's manure beneath, even though my husband had to saw through some substantial plum tree roots, to get it in.
This is where I get the donkey manure from. It is a great place.

http://walkwithdonkeys.com/

Trevor, yes it is grafted. It came from Peter Beales Roses. https://www.classicroses.co.uk/index.php
I don't know which rootstock they used though.

Thank-you Richard and Roy. I am not a good photographer, but luckily, nowadays, even the cheaper, point and click cameras, take a decent picture.

Roy, that is an unknown, hybrid, alstromeria. It has flowered for four years non stop.
The leaves on the steps are from Narcissus Tete a Tete.
Here they are a few weeks earlier.

Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS