Echium candicans

• 4 Replies

David Bracey

• Email
Echium candicans
« on: July 20, 2011, 08:32:50 PM »

I have just received this enquiry from Andaluia, Spain.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks,  David

"Last year I bought and planted a coveted Echium candicans.  The small plant grew quickly into a magnificent mound of grey green, slightly felty (and scratchy) leaves and, without any irrigation, last year produced magnificent plumes of purple flowers.  The plant grew even larger and impressive this year but produced only 2 plumes.  It was doing well until 3 weeks ago when I noticed a very slight withering of the leaves.  I promptly gave it several cans of water but today I've chopped the whole plant down because all the leaves had turned paper dry.  My gardening books are unclear about whether this Echium is a biennial or a perennial.   I have had no experience of growing this plant and need to know what to expect from any future Echiums that I plant and, indeed, how I should be caring for it.  What would your advice be?  Olivier Filippi's excellent book does not include this plant.""

MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Echium candicans
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 07:21:45 AM »
Echium candicans (syn. E. fastuosum) is a perennial, but will not live long unless totally happy (we did see some splendid plants said to be quite old at the MGS meeting in Monterey, California), so is usually thought of as a short-lived perennial, and may behave as a biennial if it has a set-back.
It likes excellent drainage, and I had always thought that over-watering was much more likely as a cause of death than under-watering. But as I don't know what conditions have been like in Andalucia this last year, I asked Lindsay Blyth, head of the MGS Andalucia branch (and a member of this forum) what she thought of David Bracey's correspondent's experience.
This is what Lindsay said in reply:
"Here it is a short-lived perennial so it is always advisable to take cuttings in July or August as the beautiful blue does not come true from seed.  This magnificent specimen was at the bottom of a field of fruit trees which received monthly watering. It lasted 4 years.
This year a small unwatered plant frizzled up.  Heidi (Gildemeister) recommends watering every 3-4 weeks. Here we had a wet cold spring followed at once by nearly 40C so we all had to adjust rather quickly.
"
Here is the photo Lindsay sent of the plant she mentions.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:23:35 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 05:28:16 PM »
Thanks, I will pass the message on David
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

pamela

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:30:37 PM »
I have many Echium candicans.  In fact they are super stars.  All of mine except for the very first one have been grown from tiny seedlings which I found and have pulled out from the gravel and between tiles, rocks etc.  I then put them in a pot and after a few months plant them out.  
You must cut off the old flower heads in May/June and by July,  the best place is where you see the tiny sprouts coming on the stem.  Sometimes they can look somewhat dry after July and I do water those a little but they are great survivors. You must never prune the non-flowering stems and don’t prune too far down the flowering stem.
They are one of the best plants for me on the Costa Blanca and always give a great show in April/ May, I planted one in a large rock crevice three years ago and it has survived very well  
I have my first Echium pininana growing this year although they were difficult to get going from the seeds I bought. I have three. They should seed freely from now on.  
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:58:14 AM by Alisdair »
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

John

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 09:58:02 PM »
I remember seeing this in the wild in Madeira and I would say that it is not a typical mediterranean plant. More moderate altitude cloud forest. It is often sold in garden centres in London and I have known of specimens lasting several years in pots on doorsteps local to where I live in  south west London. They are also very easy from cuttings and should flower in their second season if grown well.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.