Badgers

• 20 Replies

KatG

• Email
Badgers
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:06:18 PM »
Does anyone have any idea how to discourage Badgers? They are beautiful animals, but they make a hell of a mess. I frequently find entire plants uprooted and tossed aside - they clearly love the soft, damp soil.
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

yvesans

• Email
Re: Badgers
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 06:25:28 AM »
Thought you might like this!  ;D ;D

Active gardener all year round in Cyprus, nature always wins!

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:53:46 AM »
I do, fantastic!
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 12:31:48 PM »
It does not sound as if it is easy to get rid of badgers, chemical control (poison) is not allowed, at least not in the UK and the Nordic countries. I read that: ‘There are claims that male human urine, human hair clippings and lion dung spread on the garden may act as a deterrent, but these methods are not recommended’, and I don’t think there is any documentation showing that they are efficient. I have seen some trials with ultrasonic devices; they do not work, in spite of the manufacturers’ claim.

There are some guidelines that have been produced to help people who have a problem with badgers in their garden, see http://www.badger.org.uk/ . Go to About Badgers - Problems and at the end of the text see the pdf file.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 08:14:09 AM by Fleur Pavlidis »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 12:45:47 PM »
Katerina, I think Jorun's right - it seems virtually impossible to discourage badgers. Here in the UK we have two badger setts on our property, and the only thing which keeps them out for us is fencing using strong stock fencing, plus rabbit netting (there to keep the rabbits out) which is dug in about a foot and then angled out about a foot. Stock fencing on its own is useless as they just push or scrape underneath it, and they are quite strong enough to move sizeable rocks put across their runs.
Badgers are heavily protected in the UK by conservation laws, and this has allowed their numbers to build up enormously in the last couple of decades. Leaving aside the question of their contribution to the English and Welsh plague of tuberculosis in cattle, this has had the unfortunate effect that in our own area ground-nesting birds including skylarks and partridges have virtually disappeared, as have hares, all previously abundant here, although the type of farming here (largely pasture) has not changed during that period.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:52:42 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

KatG

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 08:11:33 PM »
Jorun, the 'cure' sounds worse than the affliction, and I haven't seen too much lion dung for sale in my area. I'm hoping now the plants are established the badgers won't wreak so much havoc. At my previous house I was regularly visited by two adults and their cub. They would wander around the courtyard every night in summer, hoovering up fallen mulberries. I suspect their eyesight is none too good since they would pass by, close enough for me to touch them, and only when I spoke were they startled.

The garden of my current house is surrounded by a 2.5m high dry stone wall, but they just climb over it. They clearly have powerful limbs. I used to lay large pieces of marble around new plants but they were just jettisoned as though they were balsa wood.
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 08:42:14 PM »
Badgers don't like water much. So you might possibly consider a gadget called the Contech Scarecrow, which shoots out a water jet when it detects motion - but it has to be connected to a hose.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 08:26:27 AM »
I have never been fortunate/unfortunate enough to have Badgers visiting any of my gardens although they did live in the vicinity of our last house in the UK and we would go on "Badger watchings walks"  late in the evening. As with all wild animals they can be a curse when foraging through gardens but it would seem that all of the suggestions made for deterring them do not work for long. I have tried the same deterrents, human hair , urine etc  (but no lion or elephant's dung so far) for trying to keep porcupines at bay here in Umbria but to little avail and, as with the badgers, they are amazingly strong and can toss aside large stones with ease.
I have decided to live and let live is the best policy and avoid planting their favourite food plants - bulbs and iris in particular. What do badgers seem prefer or are they indiscriminate foragers?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Jill S

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 12:06:28 PM »
Don't know what plants they prefer but they're yours for life if you give them a peanut !
Actually they're carnivores (mostly) so I wouldn't expect them to eat the plants, JUST plough through them on the way to worms and beetles etc.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:20:03 PM by JillS »
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

KatG

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 01:29:22 PM »
My understanding is that they are omnivores and so yes, they are more interested in the grubs, roots and bulbs in the soil rather than the plant itself.

KatG

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 01:32:37 PM »
The Contech Scarecrow looks interesting. Might work well on human interlopers too!

helenaviolet

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 10:56:51 PM »
Are badgers territorial? This sounds silly but people keep possums out of their gardens by sitting fluffy toy animals in trees. See if you can get some toy badgers so the real ones might think 'somebody else' lives there and go away.

If they like iris etc..then there must be something they hate. Garlic? A border of garlic along the fence line?

Otherwise this does work to keep possums off roses and I once used it to keep rabbits away from newly planted seedlings. Also harmless. Get a large jar of cheap supermarket brand camphorated chest rub (for winter colds & bronchitis). Smear generous dollops around your plants, on branches, along fences, over sticks and stones etc...the badgers won't like it if they get this on their noses and, hopefully, nick off!   
I live in Central Victoria, Australia. This is very much a "Mediterranean" climate with long hot summers and cold frosty winters. Citrus grows well here. I am interested in species and cultivars of Viola which will grow in this climate.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 12:07:54 AM »
I have read that they may not like the smell of household ammonia, maybe you could dip the toy badger in that and try the combined effect?

westyboy

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 10:20:06 AM »
When I lived in Hampshire UK. I had a nightmare time with rabbits, deer and worst of all MOLES.
Reading all the suggestions above, reminds me of all the deterrents I tried to rid myself of moles. Human and animal waste, ultrasonic devices, even traps. All to no avail.
Then I eventually realised, I lived in the middle of a forest. And all the animals were probably trying to rid themselves of me.
So barring an all out cull (which no one wants), I agree with Umbrian, learn to live together.
I still have nightmares over my beautiful lawn, that I donated to the wellbeing of MOLES.
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 10:42:39 AM »
Helena, Badgers are territorial, but not in the sense that you could keep them out by using a fake badger to warn them off. The territory of a particular badger family is really just its regular hunting ground, a kilometre or more across, but these territories all overlap. Even though badgers definitely treat the ground very close to their setts as "theirs" they don't seem proprietorial about the further country they range over. Also, it seems to us that badgers from different setts, even quite far apart, do visit their neighbours occasionally, as there are well worn runs, often very old, that seem to link the setts. Our own main sett, which is pretty extensive, had already been there "for ever" in the late 19th century.
Alisdair Aird