Phlomis - self seeding

• 4 Replies

John J

Phlomis - self seeding
« on: January 25, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »
I wasn't sure what category to put this in but this seemed as close as any.
Having been physically inactive for the last couple of months I have not got around to tidying up plants that I normally do. Things like the Phlomis have been left untouched and the dried flower stems have been beaten down by wind and rain to lie on the ground. We noticed today that they have taken the opportunity to germinate and start their own mini communes. I guess if we grow them on we could populate half the garden with them!!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Phlomis - self seeding
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 01:37:24 PM »
I do envy you, John. We have scattered endless amounts of the local phlomis seed in the "managed wild" part of our garden, both from the single plant that is growing naturally among our rocks, and from other populations in the area (mostly, they are a bit higher up the hillside). So far not a single one has taken!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 06:28:16 PM »
Very interesting photos, John. I didn't know Phlomis rooted from dried flower stems.
It reminds me a bit of capers, Alisdair. You plant them lovingly and they die on you but left to their own devices they are happy to grow out of stone walls!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 07:17:40 AM »
First to say that I hope John J returns to full gardening health soon. Then to lament about Phlomis russelliana. I have a spot in the garden where I see it as just the plant to cover some ground around the base of an old olive stump. My MGS seed has done nothing so far. More disappointing is the difficulty of persuading rooted rhizomes from a plant already in the garden to grow away in a new position. The present plant spreads well but doesn't want to be divided.

John J

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 03:53:42 PM »
Joanna, thank you very much for your kind comment. It's mostly a matter of time while I get used to the new hip. Any thoughts I had of emulating the 6 Million Dollar Man from the old TV series with a bionic job quickly went out of the window, I have trouble keeping pace with my 18 month old granddaughter. As a matter of interest I believe the Phlomis in question is a P fruticosa.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)