Brunfelsia (Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow)

• 5 Replies

John J

Brunfelsia (Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow)
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »
I don't remember seeing any posts referring to Brunfelsia so far. The first flower of this year opened on our bush today, or should that be yesterday?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

SusanIbiza

• Email
Re: Brunfelsia (Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 02:39:52 PM »
How lovely to see this delightful shrub growing so well in the Mediterranean.  This has encouraged me to see if I can find one as they grew beautifully in our garden in Brisbane, Qld.
Now gardening in Ibiza, Balearics having moved last year from Queensland, Australia.  Mediterranean gardening is my challenge now, there is such a lot to learn, but it is lots of fun.

Pescalune

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 06:26:47 PM »
Dominique and I discovered this amazing shrub in a friend's garden in Adelaide during the Annual Meeting of the MGS. We were so taken with this simultaneous combination of three colours on the same plant that we collected a number of seeds, and sowed them two months ago in a plastic container in a warm place inside our house, near to a window.
So far, we have not perceived any sign of an awakening of the seeds ...
Can you please provide suggestions? Did we do something wrong or are we too impatient? Or both?
Thank you in advance.
Pescalune

John J

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 12:23:24 PM »
Yesterday, today and tomorrow?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 01:14:31 PM »
Very neat, John - a perfect demonstration!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Trevor Australis

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 12:50:51 AM »
It is a Temperate/ sub-Tropical shrub so its seeds may not germinate until the weather warms Jean. It is frost/ cold tender here so ours grows in a tub out of the chill winter winds. But it flowers well in summer.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.