Lollipop trees?

• 9 Replies

John J

Lollipop trees?
« on: October 10, 2012, 08:03:11 AM »
I recently discovered that 2012 is the European Year of Active Ageing. I found this out when I was asked to give a short presentation on Active Ageing and Gardening at an Open Day organised by a Cyprus branch of the University of the 3rd Age. (For those who don't know this organisation I won't try to explain it here, I'm afraid you'll have to Google it).
Anyway, afterwards I was approached by someone wanting advice on a tree to use for screening an unsightly view from his patio. His requirements were that it should be able to be grown bare-trunked for about two and a half metres before branching. Ideally it should then take on the shape of a lollipop as seen in typical drawings of trees done by small children. Preferably it should be evergreen and, if possible, colourful.
My first thought for a typical lollipop shape was the Stone pine (Pinus pinea). Admittedly not colourful but to my mind attractive all year whereas many flowering trees are only at their best for a relatively short period. It is evergreen but not 'heavily' so thereby casting unwanted shade.
Whatever he chooses he'll need to be patient as it will take time to grow to the required height, unless he is prepared to spend a large amount on a mature specimen. Anyway, I said I would think about it and maybe see what other members of the Forum had to suggest.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Lollipop trees?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 09:17:25 AM »
I'm consulting the book I've just reviewed in TMG. What about a Brachychiton acerifolius? Fairly quick growing and it looks as if, like other brachychitons, it has a straight trunk that you can clear of branches without them shooting back every year. "One of the most spectacular red-flowering trees in the world" is the description.
Jacaranda mimosifolia is another straight up tree. The browning leaves stay on nearly all winter and are beautifully scented.
In Cyprus I imagine you can grow Ceiba speciosa. The book recommends seedlings rather than grafts for a tall straight trunk although the tree will take a bit longer to flower. It says briefly deciduous.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 06:56:34 PM »
I think the jacaranda may be too open in habit to do the screening bit - and it is deciduous.
For something rather more mop-headed (and forgetting Boris johnsonii), perhaps Albizia julibrissin - but deciduous again. The street where our hotel was for the Mallorca AGM last year had some Schinus molle grown as classic lollipop trees. And what about bitter orange?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 04:52:24 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.
Fleur, I have the Brachychiton on my possibles list. Apparently the guy already has a Jacaranda and wants something different. I planted a Ceiba in my garden last year and it has survived its first summer but it is not yet established enough to tell how it's going to perform for me.
Alisdair, I had discounted Albizzia due to its deciduous habit but Schinus molle is an idea. I had Schinus terebinthifolius on my list already.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
Just to add my bit.
I discovered a Brachychiton here in Corinth this summer.
It was very tall, thin and straggly  with brilliant red flowers.
Not at all a lollipop shape.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 09:14:52 PM »
Hmmm - bit of a challenge...

How about good old citrus?
Can certainly acheive a lollipop shape, even though they are not the most tractable of prunees (new word?).
Evergreen, and colour by way of white flowers and orange or yellow fruit.

Olive can also be trained to a lollipop shape. No colour....
...But could we cheat and add colour by way of a climber?
Say, blue, red, pink or purple Clematis?

Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 07:17:36 AM »
Mike,
Citrus is a possibility and with the added benefit of perfume from the blossom. Picking the fruit might cause a problem with him requesting a bare trunk up to around two and a half metres.
The climber idea is a good one and worth suggesting to him. Thanks.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 10:02:32 AM »
Mike, what about  Q.ilex on a leg. or Viburnum tinus, or Lusitanica or Cinnamonum camphora.  Easy to train and to buy? Vannucci in Italy offers a range of trees in different forms and I`m sure he would be happy to deliver to Cyprus.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 07:18:31 AM »
Heaps of possibilities - oleander, pomegranate, crepe myrtle, myrtle, espalier figs, duranta even olives trained and carob, tho' these would get too big with much age. Some cotoneasters would go too.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 11:38:53 AM »
Some years ago I planted a small kumquat behind our house, but it was not a great success. We have a friend who looks after our house when we are not there, he cut away the dead top, trimmed the trunk, and we now have a beautiful little Seville orange tree, which the kumquat had been grafted on. With a little bit of ‘hear cut’ it will make a perfect lollipop tree which is nice all the year round and which is also producing fruit which I use for making tasty marmalade.

I have also seen them used in Thessaloniki, the trunks have been trimmed naked up to around 2 1/2 m, I would guess.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.