A hint of citrus bounty to come?

• 3 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
A hint of citrus bounty to come?
« on: January 13, 2013, 07:16:26 PM »
Taken in my garden today, only a day or two after it was snowing...

Tiny flower buds on a lemon, and a cluster of young fruit on a lime.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

helenaviolet

Re: A hint of citrus bounty to come?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 02:41:39 PM »
Snowing? That is amazing ! Delightful photos Mike but I am concerned for those little lime babies in the snow.There is a nice product called 'frost cloth' or alternatively 'arctic fleece' which is excellent for protecting young trees from frost and snow. It is better than plastic because it breathes and you can easily drape/fold/peg it in place.  :)
I live in Central Victoria, Australia. This is very much a "Mediterranean" climate with long hot summers and cold frosty winters. Citrus grows well here. I am interested in species and cultivars of Viola which will grow in this climate.

yvesans

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 03:05:34 PM »
Yes is certainly very early, I have just harvested all my remaining lemons and tidied the tree up, buds are showing on the Almond and Nectarine now but not on citrus yet.
Active gardener all year round in Cyprus, nature always wins!

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 09:29:54 PM »
Helena - fret not - those limettes are OK.
Thanks for the advice regarding the fleece. I have some of that, but I have not used it as it increases the sail effect considerably, it would need serious securing against the wind, and my young citruses are at risk of damage in the wind as it is.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England