Lemon Grass

• 5 Replies

yvesans

• Email
Lemon Grass
« on: January 11, 2013, 08:22:16 AM »
Previously I had grown lemongrass in a large pot with disappointing results, this year I planted it out and it has really gone beserk! it loved the weather and although needed frequent watering has been a great success, attractive grass and very fragrant well worth a spot in your garden somewhere.
Active gardener all year round in Cyprus, nature always wins!

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Lemon Grass
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 02:25:59 PM »
Its a summer bedding plant in the Languedoc.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

yvesans

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 08:11:11 PM »
What do you do with it in the winter?
Active gardener all year round in Cyprus, nature always wins!

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 09:04:30 PM »
Either leave it to provide some winter interest or harvest itforcooking,then buy anew plant for the spring.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John J

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 05:53:53 AM »
I have several clumps of Lemon Grass dotted in an area with other grasses. It gets little or no water in summer and survives the winter no problem.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 07:21:16 PM »
What's the best way to germinate lemongrass from seed?
Sandra Panting
I garden in the Southern Peloponnese, Greece and will soon be creating a small garden in Northampton, England.  I'm co-head of the MGS Peloponnese group and a member of the RHS.