Black redstart roosting in verandah

• 6 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Black redstart roosting in verandah
« on: January 10, 2013, 03:25:41 PM »
In the winter a black redstart roosts in the verandah of our Greek house. The curious thing about this is that it started 15 years ago, almost as soon as we had built the house, and every winter since there has been a black redstart roosting in exactly the same spot, every night, every winter. It's on a very slightly projecting bit of the stone wall, and to me looks no more inviting or roostable than lots of other bits of the stone wall - but always, the bird is there in exactly the same spot.
I think the odds against the same bird living so long for all those years are astronomically high. So is there perhaps some hereditary quirk that leads successive generations to seek out exactly the same roosting spot? I suppose that's quite possible, given that roosting behaviour in black redstarts is so disciplined. They never betray their position (to a predatory snake, say) by leaving droppings - unlike the roosting wrens and robins which so mess up our porch back in England. And they don't flutter about if disturbed. When I snapped our current visitor a couple of nights ago with my cellphone, as you can see from the photo below he - and it always has been a he - just sat tight even though my noisy progress (not to mention the flash) woke him up with a start.
They are here down by the coast only in winter. In the spring they all move up to the mountains.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Black redstart roosting in verandah
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:05:50 PM »
Fascinating Alisdair!
I wish I could offer some inspired insight, but I can't come up with even a half-baked theory to explain the phenomenon!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:29:42 PM »
I agree, really fascinating. The maximum lifespan of the black redstar t is 10.2 years (wild) according to The Animal Ageing and Longevity Database (http://genomics.senescence.info/species/entry.php?species=Phoenicurus_ochruros), which is a lot longer than I could imagine, but even so, your present redstart must be at least second generation.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 08:32:18 AM »
I wonder how well redstarts (and other small birds) perceive infrared.
I'd be interested to know what your wall looks like with an infrared camera. Maybe that spot provides a good combination of warmth and perchability. Maybe there is a central heating pipe in the wall thereabouts, or a wall light on the other side...?
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 03:21:24 PM »
As the house is largely unoccupied through the winter there is probably less residual rock warmth there than there would have been in a shallow cave of the same aspect. And central heating - what's that??
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »
Maybe the view is particularly stunning there?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 12:08:50 PM »
You may be on to something, Jorun! I've noticed that he goes to roost a little earlier than I'd have thought normal, perhaps so that he can catch a glimpse of the midwinter sunset sun dropping into the sea....
Alisdair Aird