Strelitzia regina doesn`t bloom

• 4 Replies

Greg

Strelitzia regina doesn`t bloom
« on: January 07, 2013, 09:57:18 PM »
Hello everybody,
my Strelitzia is 8 years old, "lives" behind a southbond living room window, spends mid october to mid December in a winter garden with lows round 14-15°C and doesn`t want to bloom. Any suggestions/ solutions?
Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Greg
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:59:46 PM by Alisdair »
Living in North Germany, plants can stay in winter garden over the winter, lows to 14-15°C

John J

Re: Strelitzia regina doesn`t bloom
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:02:15 AM »
Greg,
I can only speak from my own experience of this plant, I have 2, one of which flowers profusely and the other has yet to perform. They do take time to bloom, needing to be fully mature and established, even virtually root-bound. They also need plenty of sunlight and warmth. In your circumstances a good, rich soil and/or regular application of a liquid fertiliser might help.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:00:03 PM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Trevor Australis

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 09:40:21 AM »
If it is a seed raised plant that could be the reason. Strelitzia can be extremely variable in blooming from seed, and can also vary from plant to plant even when they are mature.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:00:25 PM by Alisdair »
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

westyboy

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:07:31 AM »
When I first moved to Spain Strelitzia regina was one of my first purchases. I had it in a tub in the courtyard. It was absolutely fabulous, flowered well and looked great. So the first opportunity (out of season) I decided to split it, to acheive four fabulous plants.
one died, two continue to struggle in the garden, and the remaining one, six years later is just starting to look good again. (in tub)

This little episode has taught me to respect this plant.

With the help I have received from this forum, I feel confident that I will get a smile back on the faces of the two in the garden.

Roy
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:32:35 AM »
Westyboy, Even with a plant in a tub you'd have noticed what a massive, heavy root system Strelitzia's have. In gardens they are virtually impossible to shift, lift or divide without a (small) bull-dozer. They are simply enormous. Once out of the ground the plnts are usually divided with an axe or chainsaw. May I suggest you review where you have planted the two in your garden. On reflection you may wish to move them.
 :)tn

10.00am and 42 degrees C already, just a whisker under the old 100 degrees F.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.