How to kill a Ceanothus

• 8 Replies

ritamax

How to kill a Ceanothus
« on: November 29, 2012, 12:53:07 PM »
To my delight and surprise in the last 1,5 years of my new garden I have lost only 2 plants, which I consider entirely due to the irrigation system and the choice of drought-tolerant plants. Even after 6 months' drought the garden looked green in September. This is all of course very controversial and I feel guilty about my water consume. On the other hand the clay soil seems to retain moisture very well especially under the geotextile and gravel. This autumn has been, however, unexceptionally rainy, with a torrential rain 28th September of about 120mm on one day. When I came there the next time in the end of October I found the Ceanothus looking awful. When I digged it out, it was sitting in a black, crumbly, moist soil full of rainworms! The kind of a soil suitable for roses. What had happened? While planting on the last day of my trip, I ran out of sand and perlite, and improved the soil with rotted horse manure, that's all I had. So in one year the soil had turned into a very fertile soil, but not at all suitable for a Ceanothus. So with a clay soil there are possibilities, but not everything goes. The way they irrigate in my area, every night shortly keeps this type of soil moist, but avoids compacting and waterlogging.
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

pamela

Re: How to kill a Ceanothus
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:55:44 PM »
Well, I can tell you I have killed no less than 3 Ceanothus... Beautiful as they are they just dont like me at all!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:44:18 AM by pamela »
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

ritamax

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 05:09:52 PM »
That is very interesting, you have the similar soil, I suppose, so it seems they don't like Costa Blanca! Do you have other plants which dislike your soil? My lavenders do not look good, they would probably need better drainage. Grevilleas, which I thought to be a problem, are fine, they have even taken the overhead watering well.
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 04:41:15 PM »
This topic has changed to a discussion of lavender so has been moved to Trees and Shrubs.

http://www.mgsforum.org/smf/index.php?topic=1122.0
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 07:07:08 AM »
In my experience, Ceanothus can be quite short lived. I planted two C thyrisiflorus, one either side of two shallow steps leading to a water feature. They flourished for a year or two and then started to die back. Pruning off the dead branches only resulted in further die back and in the end one gave up the ghost completely and the other sad specimin had to go too! The position seemed well suited to their requirements, full sun and protected from strong winds and indeed they did look lovely in the beginning, blue flowering shrubs not being easy to find.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

ritamax

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 03:51:24 PM »
I read some interesting stuff about Ceanothus. It dislikes irrigation in summer, soil amendment, fertiizing and absolutely demands a well-draining soil.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 08:30:41 PM »
Sally Razelou is testing out two cultivars of Ceanothus at Sparoza: Yankee Point and Concha. Three of each just planted.
My own experience exactly mirrors Umbrian's even though our growing conditions are fairly different.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 10:29:49 AM »
Ceanothus or Californian lilac is a Caliform^nian weed.  O Filippi says"it lives longer if the soil is dry...........they should never be watered in summer".
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 07:23:31 AM »
Can only agree about no summer water. They are adapted to this regime naturally in California. I wouldn't call them weeds tho. The are very beautiful plants with many forms from prostrate to tree-like. I found none of the 7 I planted lasted longer than 20 yrs. And Boy are they hard to cut down when dead and dry. The timber is like iron.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.