Guess what this is 38 - now solved

• 19 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Guess what this is 38 - now solved
« on: January 03, 2013, 06:29:32 PM »
Here's another, quite a surprise (and hardly mediterranean). Probably misleading clue, this trunk is nearly a metre in circumference.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:41:20 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
Re: Guess what this is 38
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 09:41:08 PM »
Metasequoia glyptostroboides?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 09:52:36 PM »
No, Jorun!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Jill S

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 12:50:20 AM »
Swamp Cypress ?
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 05:10:28 AM »
Another almost look-alike - but no!
Alisdair Aird

westyboy

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:23:57 AM »
eucalyptus ?
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:37:19 AM »
Yew?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 04:55:35 PM »
Looking at the surroundings the pic was taken in a "tropical " environment.  Singapore? However that does not help identify it.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Jill S

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 10:52:41 PM »
Arbutus ?
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 09:12:52 AM »
Not eucalyptus, not yew, not arbutus, and not Singapore. Actually growing in and native to temperate areas.
Alisdair Aird

pamela

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 09:27:43 AM »
Podocarpus totara
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

JTh

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 10:37:11 AM »
Melaleuca?

Miriam

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 12:22:43 PM »
Acer?
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

pamela

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 02:29:45 PM »
Dacrydium cupressinum
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;