Yellow spots on Sago Palm

• 7 Replies

yvesans

• Email
Yellow spots on Sago Palm
« on: December 31, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »
My Sago palm has suddenly developed a lot of yellowish spots on all the leaves, topside only, I have looked at most of the pests and it does not fit the description of scale infestation, seems more possible to be a mineral deficiency, I wonder if anyone has any experience of this?
Active gardener all year round in Cyprus, nature always wins!

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Yellow spots on Sago Palm
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:46:23 AM »
Any pics?
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 03:47:24 PM »
Yes, a photo would help!
In our UK garden we have a king sago (Cycas revoluta) which most years has a sparse scattering of tiny yellow spots on at least a few of its leaves. Leaf spots are notoriously difficult to diagnose, and I have in the past assumed that ours - really not noticeable enough to worry about - were originally thrips puncture marks, as in the winter we have moved the potted plant into a cool greenhouse where other plants do get attacked by thrips. However, such spots can also be caused by cultural problems, or even spray damage. Prompted by your question I've just had a closer look at our plant and noticed that this year's scattering of tiny spots mostly seem to be on one side of the fronds, which would square up with a reaction to spray drift - even a fungal attack following just plain water spray.
Cyprus has had some dire storms this year, so I suppose another possibility for you to keep in mind is hail damage.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 09:48:37 AM »
Do your spots look anything like the ones in the photo?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

yvesans

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 10:20:51 AM »
Thanks all, here is a photo I took this morning, all leaves are much the same now,

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:22:50 AM by yvesans »

yvesans

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 12:45:17 PM »
Yes looks the same John

John J

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 03:19:01 PM »
I have no idea what they are caused by either but Alisdair's explanations sound plausible. They don't appear to be having an adverse effect on the plant's health so I'm not too worried about them at this stage.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 04:22:17 PM »
"The beginning stages of manganese deficiency are yellow-brown spots or streaks resembling a pathogenic disease"

That would be my first choice for an explanation.
But see also the other issues discussed in this paper -
http://cfextension.ifas.ufl.edu/documents/Sago.pdf
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England