Snow?

• 24 Replies

John J

Re: Snow?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 10:23:09 AM »
Following yesterday's snow flurry we woke this morning to find a thin sheet of ice on one of the water-lily tanks, very rare. From the BBC World News broadcasts it seems that the whole Middle East has been hit by an unusually cold spell.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 10:19:15 PM »
It was strange here, in the west of Cyprus.
On a few clear days a year we can see Turkey, 200km to the north; the Taurus Mountains stand suprisingly high on the horizon. Yesterday we could see it very well, but that was with a overcast sky starting to snow! The cold air coming south from Anatolia must have been very clear.
And for a while it was really wintry, snow driving down and settling all around. (100m alt.)
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Miriam

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 06:35:17 PM »
Today I went to Jerusalem to see what was left of the snow...after a week of heavy rains and some snow.
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 08:24:17 AM »
After a very wet but not unduly cold winter several people, local "weather watchers" have told me that we are going to have an early spring. The little birds in the garden, about, but silent in the winter have become very noisy and busy . The other morning when in the car I was surrounded by flocks of Goldfinches that emerged from the bushes alongside our valley road, many more than usual. Probably the most  encouraging information however was from a neighbour whose sister lives in the South of France and who reports that the migrating Cranes are on the move. Time to get into gear again hopefully onve the ground dries out a bit.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 08:40:58 AM »
December snow very sparse but this is a view of the garden earlier this week.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 08:48:48 AM »
And a further photo showing some of the damage suffered in the garden. The snow was the wet kind that collected on branches, evergreen leaves etc and weighed them down. We also experienced high winds at times when it was snowing that meant certain, more exposed things suffered more. Heigh Ho - the joys of gardening. :) :'(

SusanIbiza

• Email
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 09:44:46 AM »
Brrrr!  No wonder it has been so cold here with the wind from the north.  Only 4mm. of rain though.  We hope to have more to set us up for the long hot summer here on Ibiza.  This is the very opposite to what we are used to in SE Queensland in Australia.  We are just starting a very steep learning curve in mediterranean gardening.
Now gardening in Ibiza, Balearics having moved last year from Queensland, Australia.  Mediterranean gardening is my challenge now, there is such a lot to learn, but it is lots of fun.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 11:26:49 PM »
Despite the damage from wet snow I'd love, just once, to have a decent fall of snow here in the Adelaide Hills. We've been here 35+ years and in that time had only two light falls of snow, flurries really - but photo's taken here-abouts in the 1880's into the 1920's show deep snow covering the houses, streets and gardens.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 08:39:35 AM »
Snow and Teucrium marum. We have had about ten nights here in Toscana this winter when there has been complete snow cover of the ground. Each following morning the cat tracks have headed straight to the T.marum., commonly known as Cat Thyme. The poor plant has no leaves left, even though I thought it was well protected by netting. Clever creatures,  cats. How could the plant ever survive in its natural habitat?

Now I must decide whether to try to move it. But to where? A hanging basket suspended from about 10 m. height. It is such an attractive plant in a dry garden.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 08:59:35 AM »
I reluctantly gave up on Teucrium marum. Even planted among the strongest smelling herbs the cats immediately sussed it out as you've described. And the big toms rolling about started to destroy the neighbouring plants too.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece