Hardenbergia violacea

• 17 Replies

David Bracey

• Email
Hardenbergia violacea
« on: November 26, 2012, 05:46:21 PM »
Has anyone seen a better Hardenbergia growing outdoors.?  This pic was taken in Montreux by the lake,
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Hardenbergia violacea
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 06:07:32 PM »
Wrong picture, David.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Daisy

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 07:29:44 AM »
I planted a Hardenbergia violacea last spring. I gave it both vertical and horizontal wires for training it on.
It was too quick for me ??? ??? ???
In spite of my initial training, it shot up to the top of the wall and is about to grow over into my neighbours garden.
At the moment, it is full of buds.
When it has finished flowering, can I cut it hard back?
Will it sulk?
The bottom is already mainly bare brown stems.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 09:21:05 AM »
Daisy,
it might sulk but it's more likely to re-sprout and repeat the performance unless you keep it trimmed back and train it horizontally, I think. It's known for going straight to the top and forming a "bird's nest" with bare stems below!
It grows much better in the wild where it just scrambles over the ground and small shrubs.
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 11:34:39 AM »
Really helpful advice, Fermi: thanks!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:16:28 AM »
A few pics of Hardenbergia violacea growing on the roadside
near the town where I work taken in spring a couple of years ago.
cheers
fermi

Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 09:15:23 AM »
Lovely - the first picture gives a very good idea of where I'd like to try it in our own Greek garden, as a sprawler among shrubs on an untidy bank rather than as a climber.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Daisy

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 10:32:41 AM »
Thanks Fermi, I will cut it back after flowering. The first buds are just opening now.
Do you think I can cut into the brown bare stems at the bottom, or should I just trim it back to green wood?

I love your photos, that does look a better way to grow it.
I just wish it would flower for longer.
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Trevor Australis

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 10:39:28 AM »
Down to the brown. No worries.

tn
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Daisy

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 02:33:04 PM »
Thanks Trevor.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 11:21:40 PM »
there is another sp. which is far more bushy. it has broader leaves and a wider range of colours - mauve-pink, white and several shades of lavender-purple. I'll have to see if I can locate the name. tn

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Hardenbergia comptoniana?
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 09:11:07 AM »
The Australian wildflower book that I couldn't resist buying when we were out there shows Hardenbergia comptoniana, which certainly does look/sound bushier, with less tough stems (and more of them), and trifoliate leaves. Is that the one you had in mind, Trevor? The book called it "Wild Sarsaparilla", as opposed to "Purple Coral Pea", the name they give to H. violacea.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:13:54 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird

Trevor Australis

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
 ;) Yes, Alisdair Hardenbergia comptoniana was the species I couldn't recall. It makes a sprawling shrub, rather open but good when massed as ground cover. tn

David Feix

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 05:39:19 AM »
One of the better forms of Hardenbergia violaceae I've seen here in northern California is the cultivar 'Canoelands'.  The flowers are significantly larger, and the plant also has a much longer bloom season, often extending into June after starting in January/February as per the more common cultivar 'Happy Wanderer'.  It is the nature of the species to develop bare legs and concentrate growth at the top of the vine, and I'd be cautious about pruning this too severely.  In my experience with the vine here in California, it doesn't always respond well to cutting it back completely. Also, H. comptoniana seems just as prone to be a vine here in California as does H. violaceae, but maybe that is just because that is how people use it here.
David Feix Landscape Design
Berkeley, California, USA

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 07:19:47 PM »
Well, we pruned a white flowered monster one really hard after flowering, into the wood, and it came back with twice as much strength. It is almost impossible to keep it in check.
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10