Salvia discolor

• 24 Replies

Alice

Re: Salvia discolor
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 08:17:36 PM »
Jorun, have you tried the Kaisariani nursery or Chrysanthi Parayiou's nursery, both on the outskirts of Athens (at the foothills of Mt Hymettus and Mt Penteli, respectively)? You would have to visit, though, as they don't post plants. We acquired our Salvia leucantha plants from the latter nursery.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 11:35:09 PM »
I must admit I'm not that often in Athens, it was at least 15 years since the last visit when I went to the meeting in Peania three weeks ago. But maybe there will be a chance next year?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 07:34:27 AM »
JTh  Pepiniere Vaugines lists Salvia discolor. Gerard Weiner's website has plenty of other tempting, envy inducing photos.

In passing I would say that the specific name 'discolor' is unjustified. It sounds as though it should be translated as something like 'bad colour' Which taxonomist could ever have thought such a thing?

John

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 10:15:53 AM »
There are a lot of yummy, showy Salvias but many (as Alisdair has pointed out previously) will need some or even a lot of watering. I don't know about Slavia discolor once it's in the ground but here in London in a pot it took a reasonable amount of water to keep it looking good.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 10:59:49 AM »
The editor of TMG, Caroline Harbouri, has written an article (TMG No. 63, January 2011): 'Some Salvias Grown in Pots… With Comments from Sparoza (Salvia guaranitica, Salvia discolor, Salvia leucantha, Salvia madrensis and others)', there are some photos on the MGS's website with photos illustraing the article, and this is what she writes about this salvia:

'Salvia discolor is a great success at Sparoza. It flowers continuously throughout the year, even under protective horticultural fleece in winter (for it is somewhat tender). It receives less water than the other salvias in the terraces but never wilts. It is happy in positions where it can cascade down over a wall..'

The other salvias seem to be watered every four days at Sparoza.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 07:39:36 PM »
Yes it does seem to be a good one then. If it were to be on a terrace wall you would be able to semll the flowers more easily.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alice

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 07:13:29 PM »
For seeds of Salvia guaranitica "Santa Maria" try www.robinssalvias.com
They have it in their 2012/13 seed list.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 11:26:07 PM »
Thank you, I am now waiting for the seed list I have asked for

John J

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 12:30:56 PM »
The small plant of S. discolor that we brought back from Sparoza certainly seems to live up to the claim in an earlier post that it flowers almost continuously throughout the year. Ours has been in flower since we brought it back last November.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 08:09:05 AM »
We had a speaker at our local Alpine Garden Society (Victorian Group) meeting last month who belongs to the Salvia Study Group and he had some salvias for sale - this was one that we purchased and I'm looking forward to seeing if it copes with our climate.
Needless to say I was encouraged by the comments on this thread ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!